Small bottle dumps?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jagee44

Reaction score
Is it common to find small bottle dumps? I found a bottle dump that I am 100% sure had never been dug before. I only found five keepers. It was only about one and a half foot deep. And about 4 feet wide. I stopped hitting glass at about one foot deep. Should I dig deeper. I can get a picture of the dump if anyone wants to see it.

madman

Reaction score
hey jordan, yes its common to find small dumps, who knows who dumped when where or why??lets see the keepers and the pix! there may be more dumps near by check it mike

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I have found many small dumps behind old houses, in the woods and country side,in some I got only a few and some maybe a five gallon bucket full.

I found many good bottles in smaller dumps,the ones that are harder to find are the best (worth the effort) Rick

Digger George

Reaction score
Small dumps may actually be trash from a privy. The privy dippers needed a place to throw the poop/trash and they may have only dumped in that place once. It's where you may hit the pontils!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Small trash pits are common out here. Not all of the daily garbage was dumped into the privy. This is especially true in the mountain camps of the CA Gold Rush.

jagee44

Reaction score
Thank you everyone who replied.
Now tell me why I dug a bottle from the 20's and the 50's in this same dump. I only pulled out 5 whole bottles and I dont know why the age is such a big difference.

towhead

Reaction score
That would lead me to believe that it was a 50's dump, but "they" threw out some old 20's stuff in the 50's....

GuntherHess

Reaction score
it may have been someone in the '50s that cleaned out thier basement.
I know I have stuff 30 years old in my basement.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18