Small brown bottle possibly made by owens-illinois but not sure

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Greg Someone

Reaction score
IMG_20230124_221941302.jpg
IMG_20230124_221921150.jpg

Greg Someone

Reaction score
Any idea what the age of the bottle is or what it was used for.

DavidW

Reaction score
Any idea what the age of the bottle is or what it was used for.
That's a standard "generic" type of amber cylindrical medicine / chemical bottle . They were used for many many different uses - by laboratories, druggists, doctors, hospitals, and used by many companies to package lots of liquid products. . There would have been a paper label to identify contents.

From the markings on the bottom, I think that was made not very long after Illinois Glass Company merged with Owens Bottle Company to form the Owens-Illinois Glass Company. The mark used by the Illinois Glass Company was just the diamond with I inside. See how kinda Sloppy that "oval" looks, too large, and how narrow the diamond is? It looks like the oval was added later to a mold that had already been in use by Illinois Glass. My guess (just a guess) is that the bottle dates from around 1929 to 1935. Owens-Illinois was formed in 1929.

The "16" is a mold number. Most Owens-Illinois bottles of that type will have a plant location code # to the left of the logo, and a date code number to the right of the logo....... I think they are there, but the embossing is poor and I can't tell what those numbers are. Can you tell what the numbers are on either side of the logo?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu