So I have been here for over an hour and got no where with any opinion or definition. So

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Here goes The first thread was regarding whicker and weaving on early demijohns. I have several of them and have left the weaving on them because it was done with skill. I covered a lot of blurps but they didn't follow any path of my understanding objective. I plan on working on this while in NY this summer. If any one can refer me to other coverages. please do, because I feel the subject needs some discussion and coverage.
RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Somewhere in my files I have a picture from (probably a woodblock print) of workers from the 1800's sometime. I'll look for it.It really is about the same as weaving of baskets, but with a form to go over. That makes it easier I would think. I read a description once that they did them in an hours time, depending on the size.Maybe that isn't what your looking for though.

ScottBSA

Reaction score
When I was teaching elementary school, I did a unit on child labor. I remember using a picture of children covering the demijohns. It may be hiding in my basement files. I also know that until the middle of the last century blind workers wove cane and rush seats. There may be an avenue to explore there. I also leave the covering on the bottle if it is relatively intact. I have a couple with the wicker and a couple without. Scott

2find4me

Reaction score
The Patent that Roger posted looks like it was a "Loaf of Bread" Demijohn

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Good information. I think the canework that I have - deserves to stay where it is. There is beauty in it. It is hard to detect a pontil mark's presence, but if the neck is applied tooling - then there almost had to be an empontiled marking. '
So be it. RED M.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It's hard to say Red. The was the I.W. Harpers from 1890-1920 that did a great job. They wove around the embossing.
download.axd
From https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/download.axd?file=0;4644&filename=Ig11881.jpg but I had one also, I just can't find the picture. I sold it last year.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
THANKS I didn't realize that anyone had gotten back to me. I plan on covering mine in NY this summer and hope to create a description and picture coverage of what I have there. In fact I have started a coverage of my glass bottle and other applied glass applications to history in the extended time I have left. I don't know if I can accomplish much - but I think it could mean a lot to some people. I am talking about the Wolffe multiple necked bottles, early Ancient Age Gins, the SARATOGA Bottles, and many other types. I know I have a least a hundred subject bottle types and maybe a hundred applications and well over a thousand bottles. I don't know if I can accomplish it or if individual subjects should be made available to individual collectors. as I go at it - or what to do. So I will consider all advise you want to lay on me.RED Matthews

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Hello Red. The new England glassworks employed young girls to cover their Demijonns with wicker. Digger Odell's website has a very informative article on this subject.............Andy

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac