Soda?If so,any ideas on what kind it held?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wangan

Reaction score
I found this bottle in a "new" dump next to an old farm field while looking for an old settlement.On the shoulder it says "registered" on one side and "Min. contents 6 1/2 Fl. Ozs" on the other side.Near the base it says Adrian Bottling Works Adrian, Mich..On the base it has an A.B. which I thought might have been American Bottle Co.which ran until 1930.The info. I found said American Bottle had an AB connected and then later AB Co. on the base,so maybe this A.B. stands for Adrian Bottling?Anybody out in Sodaland have an idea what kind of soda,if this is a soda,came in this bottle?With the Deco type shape,I guess the flavor was on the cap because no label would work on the side.Maybe someone from Michigan is familiar with this one? Just curious as always.Thanks for any help. -Tim

8C799249EBA14350A88E9AE655A0EE46.jpg

Attachments

• 8C799249EBA14350A88E9AE655A0EE46.jpg
    8C799249EBA14350A88E9AE655A0EE46.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 119

fishnuts

Reaction score
My intermittant experience with embossed bottles lead me to opine that the AB relateds to the bottler, Adrian Bottling rather than the bottle fabricator.

epackage

Reaction score
I'm gonna say orange or cola because of the clear bottle...ginger ales seemed to come in alot of green bottles

madman

Reaction score
i used to live an hour away from adrian mich, lots of farms around there, i never found any shops there, bottles are found in old barns and farm dumps there, never seen that bottle prob a flavor bottle nice find

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Tim,

Notta lotta Adrian Bottling Works info out there, but I did find a coupla nuggets.

"Turning junk to treasure
One of Denise Pask’s selling success stories on eBay centers around the saying, “one person’s junk becomes another person’s treasure.â€

Several years ago, the Adrian resident and her husband were digging a trench in the backyard when they uncovered some old, discarded pop bottles.

“At first, I didn’t know what kind of ‘treasure’ I had found,â€â€ˆPask said in an e-mail. “We discovered they were five pop bottles with Adrian Bottling Works and Tip Top Beverages formed in the glass and a patent date of May 4, 1926, near the bottom.â€

They are thick glass and measure 9 inches tall and only 2 inches across the bottom, rather tall and thin compared to today’s bottles.

“I was selling personal items and things for friends on eBay,†Pask said, “and decided to try and sell four out of the five pop bottles on eBay. Pask said she put the bottles online for 99 cents apiece and they sold for $3 to $6 each. She kept the remaining bottle for herself.

Pask said listing on eBay can be a fun experience..." From.

Does yours contain any reference to Tip Top? This is fer'sure a Deco Soda, maybe the Soda Guys could give you more information.

This electronic auction may be of interest. It appears to be a slightly different variant.

01dancersb.jpg

fishnuts

Reaction score
Wouldn't you know it?

There s an Adrian up for auction right now on Ebay.
Amazing sometime...that you never see a bottle from your home state, see one, then see several more...weird.
Adrian is no exception...apparently.
I just had a new embossed deco Conway bottle pass my way. Four at the same site!
Then few miles down the road three more! From never knew of it to over a six-pack within thirty minutes!
lol

Wangan

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone and thanks for that info. surfaceone.It sure looks like the one I have,only in better shape than mine.Its a long way from its home as I found it up here in Maine.There is no reference to Tip Top.All of the embossing is as I described.Its kind of cool to find out its not all that common a bottle.I dont use EBay so Ill just add it to all the other bottles and it will remind me of the digging trip.

loke37

Reaction score
Wangan,
You are not alone. I was outside earlier today cleaning up some sticks and brush along an old railroad that runs through my property and i came across an adrian bottling works bottle myself. same as what you have. A.B. on the bottom and all. I thought it was weird to find a bottle that was manufactured in adrian which is only 20 minutes from my house. I go to adrian all the time and have never heard of a bottling company from there. I started to see what i could find online about the bottle and first came across the ebay listing as mentioned previously, and then your thread. Unfortunately i dont have any additional information to add about the bottle, but i just wanted to share my finding. I will continue to look for information on the bottle and some people i know from the area and if i find any more information i will gladly share it.

loke37

Reaction score
I actually know the man who wrote the article cited above. I asked him what he knew about the bottle. This is what he said.

"I went over to the museum at lunch and did a quick look to see what I could learn about your bottle. My best guess is that it was made between 1923 and 1940.

The evidence: The Adrian Bottling Works company first appeared in the city directories in 1923 at 345 W. Maple Avenue (about where the Trestle Park path crosses near the sheriff's department). In 1927, it moved to the corner of Church and Grace streets, which I think is now the corner of Church and Dean streets. The address as of the 1930s was 1217-19 East Church Street. It last appeared in the directories in 1940 and re-emerged in 1942 as Adrian Beverage Inc.

So, if the bottle has an actual address on it somewhere, you could narrow the years down even more!"

historyhunter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: loke37

I actually know the man who wrote the article cited above.  I asked him what he knew about the bottle.  This is what he said.

"I went over to the museum at lunch and did a quick look to see what I could learn about your bottle. My best guess is that it was made between 1923 and 1940.

The evidence: The Adrian Bottling Works company first appeared in the city directories in 1923 at 345 W. Maple Avenue (about where the Trestle Park path crosses near the sheriff's department). In 1927, it moved to the corner of Church and Grace streets, which I think is now the corner of Church and Dean streets. The address as of the 1930s was 1217-19 East Church Street. It last appeared in the directories in 1940 and re-emerged in 1942 as Adrian Beverage Inc.

So, if the bottle has an actual address on it somewhere, you could narrow the years down even more!"

If they didnt show up in directories till 1923 I am guessing they had at least 30 years of business before that by my blob top ABW bottle.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac