Some more Earlyglass

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Totally, totally let this forum slide recently, and very embarassed about it, sorry guys! So will try to make up for it with regular pics etc of some of my more recent stuff...or whatever I think might interest some of you guys...please do comment....
here's one of my favourites, very small and delightful....says it all
82ca5f84-b7e5-4481-8809-ad6559ebb517_zps6855cd69.jpg

and this one a little odd, the colour is interesting, more like the North German green, and the pontil is a blowpipe pontil leading me to think this was likely an early german example, but a major German collector asures me it is not and he thinks English...The seal is also interestingly crude, not unlike some sorts one sees on some Scottish seals, so maybe that may explain the unusualness of it. C1670/80 whichever...
P1150483_zpsfc8c2f84.jpg

and one more... how about a group, three here that look nice together... all classics...:)
P1150470_zpsf3a68c2e.jpg

regards
earlyglass collector

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Nice stuff as always Mark.

the site was out the last 3 or 4 days so your off the hook for those.
How have you been?

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Hi Eric,
Yes I had tried to log on in all those days and guessed there was something wrong with the forum.
Apart from the stresses of family life and trying to put right the damage of burst water tanks etc, and insurance companies -dealing with thereof....things are good. Definite resurgence of interest in all things early at all levels. Yet at the same time enough coming up cheaply enough to buy to make a profit.
As you guys will see soon...
Thanks for asking.
earlyglass collector

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Those are phenomenal, what I wouldn't give to dig into something like that! Thanks for sharing!

fer_de_lance

Reaction score
Hello, that is one heck of a line up.I've been working on evolution of wine bottle time line and that shaft globe would fit nicely on the early end but not in my budget right now. I'm looking for another reference book, I have Dumbrell's but was curious if you had suggestion for another .
Regards,
Tim

F201229098D549B59B4160A8FABA3B0A.jpg

Attachments

• F201229098D549B59B4160A8FABA3B0A.jpg
    F201229098D549B59B4160A8FABA3B0A.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 120

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Certainly Willy's book is the next one I'd recommend after Dumbrell. If you can find one not too expensive. David Burton is near to completing the next "Bible" of seals and earlyglass probably to be in two volumes, (which includes a chapter or two by yours truly:)) but that is still being held up by the publishers.

Thanks for the kind comments. These are just some of my stock rather than a collection, that has all come and gone years ago! However, it is nice to hangon to a few of the items that are particularly nice, at leats for a while!

Yes, the evolutionery sequence is a favorite of many collectors and is an ideal starting point, though as you say, unfortunately the very earliest shaft and globes begin to go beyond the reach of most mortal collectors.... when I started collecting a shaft and globe like the one pictured could be bought for around £200 ($300), whereas now you'd need to add a nought and then double that, which shows I guess the investment potential at least, but not helpful to those without proerty developer's bank balances...

Here are a couple more anyway to be goingon with...
a nice large sealed early mallet, a good standard form and highly affordable in comparison in comparison to dated examples, hence I've just sold it, but thought people would like to see
P1150434_zps5748243c.jpg

...and another one probably less affordable! The fascination with the coats of arms is ultimately being able to attribute them to specific individuals.This one is the coat of arms of Mahon of Strokestown, Co. Roscommon, Ireland. Sir Nicholas Mahon (d. 1680) was High Sheriff in 1664,1666 and 1674. He was a loyal military commander to both Charles 1 and Charles II. Visions of the guy who handled this, pssibly even put his lips to it, also talking to both King Charles's come to mind....:)
P1150432_zps66836c17.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I love the patina on that second one. For some reason patina equates to damage to some but I enjoy it.
It's wierd since if you polish the patina off a bronze you ruin it.[8|]

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
...totally agree Eric, a patina of age (or rather effects of burial to one degree or another) somehow seems far more fitting very often for items of this age. I remember several years ago undergoing something of a...what's the word? a total change of perception of life...there's a word for it...anyway, whatever it is that's what I underwent when I won in auctionand received in my hot sweaty hand,a totally mint handled c1665 shaft and globe.......totally gobsmacking, totally beautiful as an article of craftmanship and 17thC aesthetics, totally mid five figure cost to me....but somehow there was something that wasn't right?...and that I finally realised was that it didn't "look the age" it was...it was too mint....and it was that momment that I realisd that although I would still apreciate good glossy examples of early glass, that equally I would appreciate items with patina, with iridescence and with vitrification, pitting etc far more than I ever ad before.
It is a aspect that in recent years has I know become almost a preference of quite a few collectors, particularly with the frightening advent of faking in several areas of other bottles, so that any evidence of real age, unfakeable and genuine is now looked for.
and besides that, often a good iridescence is beautiful...
earlyglass

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky