Some more Earlyglass

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Yep, there are some very similar forms, particularly in the early days when some of our glassblowers went over to your side, and blew what they had always blown shape and manufacturing style. But equally of course you had continental glassblowers also doing the same, but they would tend to congregate together so, and you will know better than me, that say a lot of ex German blowers would come together and blow Germanic style forms in one glasshouse or general area of glasshouses, and in other parts you had more English styles being blown.
Of course, ultimately your country as a whole developed your own styles, someties a mix of previous styles and sometimes totally new.
But in the beginning, at least in some areas there are very much English style bottles being blown, with English pontils.

Oh yes, the "mud" in that bottle, it's actually only light internal surface, but yes that pic makes it look like it's fll of the stuff!!! :)
earlyglass

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

Actually, maybe a blacking/shoe polish kind of thing. They were similar sometimes here as well. My bad.

Yes, would agree....
earlyglass collector

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Oh yes, the "mud" in that bottle, it's actually only light internal surface, but yes that pic makes it look like it's fll of the stuff!!! :)
That should make shipping more reasonable then. [:D]

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
which brings to mind some onions I ave still with the original wine inside....Now they ARE a pain to ship!!! not just the weight, but also avoiding leakage and customs problems...
earlyglass collector

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Yup, "This End Up" on the box doesn't often work. Sometimes a bit of plastic and a tightly wrapped rubber band around the neck can do it but it's not always enough.

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
I have a bag of baloons which I dip into now, so some of my clients have the unique sight of an iridescent onion arriving, wrapped in, as well as the usual polystyrene chips and bubblewrap, also in clingfilm to protect the iridescence and to help stop any leakage spreading, but also with a deflated rubber baloon flopping around on the mouth of their bottle...
I also have to refer to it as seawater though as well....customs don't seem to like the thought of any alchohol passing ndr their noses.
which also brings to mind the stupidly anally retentive ebay reporters who think that a "port" bottle - e.g. one that used to contain port but now doesn't.....obviously!......still doesn't contain any alchoholic substance that is illegal to try and sell on ebay....
earlyglass collector

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I wonder if Bonhams or someone would be better for you with some items. ebay generally s^#@'s for some things. The Postal service in most countries also have restrictions but the auction houses seam to be able to get around them somehow. Maybe it's pickup only for those?

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
I never, NEVER sell anything in standard auctionhouse. They just make way too much for doing nothing. Certainly the big names anyway. Which takes away any of the advantages they might have in organising shipping etc (which is equally massivley overpriced as well - as I know from much personal experience!).

On the auction comment....when someone comes to me with something they want valuing and identifying (usually in that order!) sometimes I want to buy it myself...but I have to be fair and say that they might get say £1000 in auction for that item.... but I can only pay say £800 for it.
BUT I then point out that ok the hammer price was £1000, but the buyer will actually be paying (with the 20% buyers commission) £1200, plus he will have to pay VAT on that commission which comes to a total true value that the buyer has put on that bottle, of £1240.
But what does the poor seller get?....He/she gets hammer price MINUS 20% so that's just £800....
So he gets £800 (only 66% of the total true value and the auctioneers get £400 (33% of the total value), which is half what the seller gets.. for doing not a lot....
...and when they have it explained that way, the seller very often is very happy to accept my £800 cash in the first place
So I don't use auctioneers! There is always a chance they might attract two crazy guys that bid each other up above the usual, but that's only a chance. These days the "two main guys" usually get together and decide who is going to have it this time...:)

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
They just make way too much for doing nothing.
I could disagree but I don't deal with that often. I figure ebay/paypal is 13% but I have to do all the work and they do nothing. An auction house does the publicity, photos etc. for you.
Auction houses require a drop off or pre shipment but they are responsible for everything after that like quality and condition, shipping, customs etc..
It's true they may also grade it below or above what you may consider it at though. They will want what's best for them and I think over grade or leave details out.
Anyway, you are free of it all but the increased percentage and petrol.
It's an individual option and in some cases it makes sense, others not so much.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu