Some porcelain

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Fenndango

Reaction score
Not sure of the makers or U#'s of the two on the left. Just some I dug up that stood out to me. Need cleaning.

Attachments

• PXL_20221219_162319257.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221219_162319257.MP.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 81

Hezezilla

Reaction score
I'm still a beginner but to me, they appear to be glass insulators for electrical lines. Usually, I see them in clear or aqua. I have yet to see an amber one like yours. Very interesting. Here's a photo I stole from ebay of an aqua colored insulator. Some people like to collect these so keep an open ear for them. Also, check the base and inside of them for any embossing or maker's marks. Apparently, some companies are highly sought after. I hope someone more experienced than me comes along and gives you a better idea of what you have!

Attachments

• 1671576630802.png
    1671576630802.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 69

Fenndango

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. They aren't glass, they're porcelain uniparts which are categorized by shape/size using U#'s (U stands for unipart). Glass insulators are categorized by shape/size using CD #'s (Consolidated Design). So that's a CD 154 in your photo. Porcelain guides are written by "splitters" whereas the glass guides are written by "lumpers", so I just never got good with the U #'s because the categorization is insane in my opinion. Some people are so good with porcelain they can tell the manufacturer just by looking at the glaze.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. They aren't glass, they're porcelain uniparts which are categorized by shape/size using U#'s (U stands for unipart). Glass insulators are categorized by shape/size using CD #'s (Consolidated Design). So that's a CD 154 in your photo. Porcelain guides are written by "splitters" whereas the glass guides are written by "lumpers", so I just never got good with the U #'s because the categorization is insane in my opinion. Some people are so good with porcelain they can tell the manufacturer just by looking at the glaze.
The more you know! I had no idea they made porcelains. Very interesting!

Fenndango

Reaction score
I gave away a blue Diamond P in a box of common bottles before I knew anything about insulators. Later i dug a Green Diamond P on the same line I dug the blue, which I still have. Been trying to track down the blue for about 10 years now but can't find the guy. It's in southern VT somewhere and books $20,000+ I believe. I think about it often.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
I have yet to dig much yet since I live on an island but I can say, I have met that same level of disappointment. The few times I have dug, it's always a shame finding fragments to what could have been a nice find. I have yet to really dig up anything of value but for me, I treasure the little things.

Fenndango

Reaction score
There's at least one article on Hawaii that I know about. They found purple CEW's (I think, CD 120.? or something). Really rare. If I find the article I'll link it here.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Also you have REALLY sought after hutch bottles out there
I have seen some. I myself only have a Hollister & Co. Hutch but I have seen a few bottles at shows that have only a handful known. Some of the old timers are the sole owners of some types. Sometimes I'll hear them casually say "and I have the only one known"! I myself have a Bay View Brewing Co. bottle I picked up at an estate sale. Was surprised to hear that some of the old timers have been seeking for a whole example for the past three decades.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac