some random finds when exploring some backroads

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
was walking along a small road the other day , its wooded ( no houses ) and goes to a small lake eventually , was finding the odd can or bottle but nothing that old

but found a small dumping along it , oddly a tree had grown into it , mostly just rusted cans and some glass jars .

also a cod liver oil bottle ( which I've yet to clean as I cannot get cap off so it looks awful ) , small green liquor bottle ? , broken green plate and broken dish

and a French Canadian bottle for spruce gum syrup , read it was some sort of cold remedy but its badly damaged ( not broken yet ) corked but I don't think its that old as dump was 30's or 40's era

20210505_144611.jpg
20210505_154007.jpg
20210506_085400.jpg
DSC03776.JPG
DSC03792.JPG
DSC03794.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
also found a couple cans the other day , along a smaller road that connected with a highway . had walked around the area and found little other than a couple modern cans .

but then came across a small dumping under some evergreen trees , mostly rusted oil or apple juice cans . a couple bottles , one for juice and second cooking oil .

and 5 metal cans - 2 for okeefe's old Vienna beer , 3 flat top soda cans - Canada dry ginger ale , Tab , Canada dry - cola

the cola and Tab are very rusted but was able to positively id them , the Tab looks very early

20210505_154328.jpg
20210505_162046.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
on Saturday I also poked around a vacant lot along the highway , years ago there was a building on it , some sort of junk store , pretty sure it was a store , would of been torn down 10 maybe 15 years ago I can't remember exactly

fairly large lot with trees and small rock hill areas , had been to it before and don't recall finding much

but came across a few different areas with items

small late 80's dumping , some glass jars , stubby pop bottles ( no labels ) one says A & W cream soda . couple cans , cott - cola , mountain dew , sunpac - grapefruit

a few metal tools near a rock , like a little kid left them there when playing ,

also a damaged blueish insulator ( missing bottom row ) , cup with house , was a small pile of broken glass wear and found it in it , has a chip but not broken

and a silver plated tea kettle found in a pile of scrap metal/junk , unsure of age or maker but says made in Canada on bottom

20210508_131628.jpg
20210508_173604.jpg
20210509_102619.jpg
20210508_124010.jpg
sunpac-grapefruitAL.jpg

willong

Reaction score
Other than the hammer needing a new handle, the hammer, splitting wedge and chisel are all good usable tools. It always baffles me why people throw away such things. Why don't people give such items to a friend, neighbor or charitable thrift store?

If you clean the wedge with a wire brush you might find it is a Craftsman Brand. I bought two just like it in 1975 and misplaced or lost one of them years ago--it still bugs me every time I think of it. For whatever reason, it usually bothers me more to lose an item than to break one in use.

I like that cup and its simple rustic graphics. I've retained and used cups with more chips than that; and the single chip I see in its rim doesn't even affect a right-handed drinker.

The pitcher is attractive. Do you know if it is a special purpose item? Is it made of pewter?

RCO

Reaction score
Other than the hammer needing a new handle, the hammer, splitting wedge and chisel are all good usable tools. It always baffles me why people throw away such things. Why don't people give such items to a friend, neighbor or charitable thrift store?

If you clean the wedge with a wire brush you might find it is a Craftsman Brand. I bought two just like it in 1975 and misplaced or lost one of them years ago--it still bugs me every time I think of it. For whatever reason, it usually bothers me more to lose an item than to break one in use.

I like that cup and its simple rustic graphics. I've retained and used cups with more chips than that; and the single chip I see in its rim doesn't even affect a right-handed drinker.

The pitcher is attractive. Do you know if it is a special purpose item? Is it made of pewter?

I found the 3 tools on a rocky hillside , appeared a kid had been playing with them and left them there years ago .

there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the cup ( house image on it ) other than a very minor chip

I think its a tea kettle with some custom changes , not sure who made it or year . its silver plated but made of copper , refered to as electroplated ( EP )

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score

The pitcher is a cocktail shaker for batched drinks, hence the caps on the spout and top. The short handled sledge and flat chisel I suspect are stone mason tools. That’s a good wedge for wood splitting but could also be used for splitting rock with natural clefts, but my bet is on firewood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi