some random finds when exploring some backroads

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
The pitcher is a cocktail shaker for batched drinks, hence the caps on the spout and top. The short handled sledge and flat chisel I suspect are stone mason tools. That’s a good wedge for wood splitting but could also be used for splitting rock with natural clefts, but my bet is on firewood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you think it was sold that way or a custom alteration ? the metal spout on it . doubt anyone would ever want to use it for mixing drinks now even if you gave it a serious deep clean

I've seen those wedges used for firewood splitting before , it had been outdoors for a while but both tools are metal so pretty solid

willong

Reaction score
The pitcher is a cocktail shaker for batched drinks, hence the caps on the spout and top. The short handled sledge and flat chisel I suspect are stone mason tools. That’s a good wedge for wood splitting but could also be used for splitting rock with natural clefts, but my bet is on firewood.

Thanks for the information on the cocktail shaker. Given its unusual form and the cap, I suspected it was a special purpose item; but I'm not a Martini drinker, so had no frame of reference:D.

I used generic terms for the tools. The hammer handle is broken, though it might well have been fairly short originally. As it was found in association with the brick set (chisel), it most likely is a drilling hammer. Typically, hand drilling hammers with wooden handles look like this when new:
1620912991101.png

The wedge was a wood-splitting wedge when I purchased two just like it; and they were so marketed when I mail ordered them from Sears in 1975. That was the same year that I signed my first land purchase contract and bought a lot of other tools. I have speculated on the purpose of the groove in the tapered faces of the wedge (barely visible in the photo of the found item). I suspect it is actually a dual-purpose tool that, in addition to splitting wood, can be used to split rock (as you note) with the addition of a pair of feathers made of round stock. The grooves would aid in aligning the three elements upon initial insertion. A single-purpose-design set looks like this:
1620914349782.png

Then again, I might be all wet on the original intent of the grooves on my surviving Sears wedge; but I'll probably test the idea because I've got plenty of rock on my rural land that I would like to try dressing. I actually bought a gasoline-powered rock drill at auction recently that I still have to get shipped out from PA.
1620915158808.png

RCO

Reaction score
haven't been finding as much stuff lately , bugs are starting to come out and been warmer this week . stuff I have found mostly modern beer bottles , glass juice bottles and liquor

I did find an area of rusty cans near a railway stop I hadn't seen before but bugs found me so I just picked a bag full of cans quickly to sort thru at home , unfortuently there all pretty rusted with only the odd one with some colour .

they were also all coca cola or pepsi from early 70's ( with only 1 - 7up mixed in ) . only the odd glass jar found , no bottles

also found a small yellow tobacco tin for erinmore flake but red colour mostly came off when I tried to clean it

20210521_144210.jpg
20210521_150030.jpg

Toma777

Reaction score
Nice finds.

There was an old homestead on my property, and I've found a few things, like horseshoes, old cans with the lead hole seals, and broken bottle necks. Things pop out of the ground when I'm rototilling my 1/4 acre garden area. The nicest thing though is the old homestead apple tree, that produces great apples.

Homestead nicknacks; square tacks, square nails, an hand carved button:

Homestead finds.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
Nice finds.

There was an old homestead on my property, and I've found a few things, like horseshoes, old cans with the lead hole seals, and broken bottle necks. Things pop out of the ground when I'm rototilling my 1/4 acre garden area. The nicest thing though is the old homestead apple tree, that produces great apples.

Homestead nicknacks; square tacks, square nails, an hand carved button:

View attachment 225583

I've found really old nails like those before , in older dumps and at the site of an old sawmill . nothing left of it now , I was finding them near rocks and such

RCO

Reaction score
on the weekend also found this bottle , poked thru a wooded area near a dock and found a couple bottles but got too buggy to stay long . all were liquor or beer bottles ( from 70's or 80's )

at first I disregarded this one as I don't collect liquor bottles and it says 375 ml so it can't be that old . although I wasn't sure if maybe some might still find it interesting as its for Canadian club and has it embossed on both sides which I haven't really seen done before .

DSC03865.JPG
DSC03870.JPG
DSC03872.JPG
DSC03872.JPG
DSC03872.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
couple more random finds from sunday , walked thru a wooded area which is next to a park . fairly steep and wooded so does not seem like many people ventured up it

did find 1 area with a few items but it appeared cause a couple trees blew down and its sort of a mess

found a couple bottles - light greenish Dominion marked bottle , amber liquor bottle for " Barnes " , a waterman's ink inkwell . some various broken pieces and metal cans also in it , appears to be late 20's early 30's era

and a metal bottle cap for united distillers ltd

also found 2 older plastic mountain dew bottles under some trees , appear to be from early 90's . says " quick slam " on it was well hidden so still has colour but missing cap .

20210523_141439.jpg
20210523_151811.jpg
20210523_152723.jpg
20210523_152736.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
found some more cans at that railway stop , but same issues as other days too many bugs and warm so I quickly filled a bag and sorted them at home and found them mostly to be too rusted and little colour left

almost all coca cola , found 1 pepsi and 1 - 7 up , also found 2 small glass jars for club house .

also found a c plus strawberry can but colour is faded should be red but berries green , think its from early 80's

20210525_152709.jpg
20210525_185857.jpg
20210525_154514.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
went back to the main location I had been finding cans at last year , more of a clean up than anything else .

found a few bottles but mostly just a couple clear no deposits , a large amber bottle and a liquor bottle . also a Canada dry tonic water cap

some cans but mostly rusted or ones I already have in better condition . some coca cola , pepsi , Canada dry , cplus - orange , fresca , grand prix - cola , ginger ale , 7 up diet , a couple orange juice/lemonade cans , another yellow tobacco tin

only can I hadn't found before was the " FBI " its a small juice can , so rusted unsure of flavour but think its grape

20210527_144228.jpg
20210527_145705.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
some more finds from weekend

poked around a park that has a steep rocky area and found a couple broken bottles ,

50's era pepsi , coca cola and a green liquor bottle

also found a 28 oz 7 up bottle in a small dump I had found years ago as to how I didn't notice it sooner ? not sure but its been there a while , believe this size and style used in the 60's

20210529_131042.jpg
7upBL28oz.JPG
7upBL28oz.JPG
7upBL28oz1.JPG
7upBL28oz1.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members