Some unusual 8 bubble 7 Up bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

carling

Reaction score
Jason,

Awesome finds!

I think the grayish acl's on your two 7UP's are because they are very early acl's and the white paint wasn't applied as heavy and/or the paint application wasn't quite perfected yet.

I have two 1937 Cotton Clubs where the white paint has that same grayish look and the paint looks like a real thin application of paint was put on them, but my Cotton Clubs from 1939 and afterwards have strong white paint.

Rick

JayBeck

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: acls

Those are very nice. The third one is super rare.

Thanks for the comment Matt and I appreciate your input. The third & fourth bottles are the same and I thought they were quite rare. I am considering trading one of them for another 7 Up bottle that ranges from $50-100 but I am not sure of the value of my bottle. Does that sound like a fair trade? Thanks!

JayBeck

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: splante

what year did they stop putting the bubble girl on the label?

Thanks for the comments Steve. According to the article by Bill Lockhart, they stopped using the bubble girl in 1953.

JayBeck

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: carling

Jason,

Awesome finds!

I think the grayish acl's on your two 7UP's are because they are very early acl's and the white paint wasn't applied as heavy and/or the paint application wasn't quite perfected yet.

I have two 1937 Cotton Clubs where the white paint has that same grayish look and the paint looks like a real thin application of paint was put on them, but my Cotton Clubs from 1939 and afterwards have strong white paint.

Rick

Hey Rick, thanks for your input. I remember seeing those early Cotton Club ACLs with the grayish/white paint. I have only seen a few other early ACL bottles over the years with similar looking paint but any of them seem to be tough to find. I think it would be safe to say any ACL that looks like that must be in the range from 1935-1939.

ironmountain

Reaction score
R in Triangle mark: R in a triangle........Reed Glass Company, Rochester, NY (1927-1956). See Reed.

Best website I've used for glass ID marks: http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks3.html

JayBeck

Reaction score
Thanks Ironmountain for the info and the very useful link. That one is going right into my favorites.The ACL book has a very limited amount of info on glass makers and marks so that link will definately help me with the marks I don't recognize.

acls

Reaction score
Hey Jay. Value wise it is probably a fair trade. Even the best of the best green glass bubbles girl seem to top out around $100. Some do a little better.

See if you can trade him the 4th bottle. It is really rare too, but not quite as good as the third.

JayBeck

Reaction score
Hey Matt, thanks for the info. I figured it was probably in that range but I was not sure since I have never seen one sell. The 4th one in the picture is the only one I am willing to let go of right now. Hopefully I can work out a trade for the 7 Up bottle I want, otherwise it will be going on Ebay soon.

VinTriage72

Reaction score
Those are very nice. The third one is super rare.
This 8 bubble label is more typical but the neck label is different. On this bottle there is no more mention of Columbus, Ohio and the bubble girl's swimsuit is not painted. The base has an R in a triangle with a 5 below it and 118 above it.

40AA28FC44AA4627AA6F9C615C11E9CD.jpg
I have been doing some research on the early 7 Up bottles since I bought these four bottles a few days ago and have discovered that all 3 variations I have are rather unsual 8 bubble 7 Up bottles according to what I read in the Soda Fizz articles by Bill Lockhart (http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/thesodafizz/SevenUp_BLockhart.pdf). All of the bottles in the photo are from Norwalk, Ohio but the two on the right are also marked Columbus, Ohio and they are the same except for the one on the far right has the neck label on the side. I am not sure of the dates on these but they must be in the 1937-1939 range except for the one on the left which is dated 194

Last edited:

VinTriage72

Reaction score
[QUOTE="VinTriage72, post: 739266, member: 32415
Just want to share my earliest 8 bubble swimsuit lady with a u7p emblem in the neck. The back label says " A cooler off, a fresher up." The earliest back label. This was released in 1937.

Attachments

• F98B9276-0A73-4F48-859F-A5C81E005D5C.jpeg
    F98B9276-0A73-4F48-859F-A5C81E005D5C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 138

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu