Some won't know what this is

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottle 2 Rocks

Reaction score
Etsy

Attachments

• il_794xN.1920916891_tcx1.jpg
    il_794xN.1920916891_tcx1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 149

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Well, here's why I think it's a pipe ashtray (despite what the sellers on Etsy think):
1. It's too decorative to be a spittoon which is a functional, out of sight utility.
2. The ridges and valleys substantially increase the surface area which would slow drainage and increase air drying of sputum on the exposed surface.
3. The "drain port" is too low on the side to allow much accumulation of fluids, and would increase the risk of spillage when handling.

None of these factors is a problem with pipe dottle.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Well, here's why I think it's a pipe ashtray (despite what the sellers on Etsy think):
1. It's too decorative to be a spittoon which is a functional, out of sight utility.
2. The ridges and valleys substantially increase the surface area which would slow drainage and increase air drying of sputum on the exposed surface.
3. The "drain port" is too low on the side to allow much accumulation of fluids, and would increase the risk of spillage when handling.

None of these factors is a problem with pipe dottle.
I believe you Harry. Thank-you for setting the record straight. I see some seller on eBay describe the fancyness as if it was a women's spittoon. How ridiculous. Thanks again.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
A spittoon (cuspidor) would not be open on the side would it?

Last edited:

Bottle 2 Rocks

Reaction score
Too many images on Google search of many different types of pottery vessels just like this one or very close in design to this one, all of them called spittoons and none called a pipe ashtray, are they all wrong or are we talking about someones singular theory as being correct. Yes you can drop the dottle down the hole and I'm sure it was probably done. At 9" round that would be a pretty good sized ashtray.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky