Something here for someone in OHIO??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

towhead

Reaction score
Came across this online....Recently I went to Metro Parks in Willoughby Hills, Ohio. Heading into the park I was at a point on the Chagrin River, which was an old landfill. Years ago, there was no public trash pick up, so that people would find a ravine or a river, their waste, which in this way the waste stream would be removed.

My good friend Walt was dump that particular location during a walk along the river bank when he noticed, were old bottles, it is perhaps more to go at least 10 years.Walt back a few weeks later with me and we dug all types of bottles, soda, milk, perfume and the occasional piece of pottery and silverware. This image has been about the late 20s to early 30s we have so far on the few bottles was labeled the year. After this initial search, I went back several times and every hunt is successful.

I remember a bottle of hunting at that time I made ​​Gary, another friend and my faithful dog Bolong. In fact, I pushed on Gary, he was not looking for old stuff, as he calls it. Leaving the place I have completely lost to us had no idea where the road was. It's a jungle with all the plants and shrubs punch. We went to the left, right all the time complaining about Gary's legs were cut and scratched and Bo furiously pulling on his leash. I cried Bo, because they do not like it was. I finally had enough and tells him along OK, then. Now let me tell you, Inever doubted that, according to Bo. He put his nose down, started cold and we had little time. Poor guy, I shouted to him and everything he has tried to help.

Continuing after the next thought that the results become more scarce and we chose to clean it. We dug into the bank at least 6 feet by 8 feet wide. was two years ago, but this last visit there, I found some old bottles to! By changing theand the erosion of more bottles Seasons appeared. Even more surprising is how short the way it really is the riverside. When Walt first realized there was a way to the river, but the parks back in the parking lot and leave the site in the wild, the place made this exact point is even more difficult. What has been like a journey through the Amazon was only a short walk of 30 meters, making them available on the riverside. I was very much like this, it is easy to find disgustedwas that the location of all vegetation has been cleared, then I suddenly realized, DUH, its nothing too early and was again.

I only stayed a short time because I was not prepared with buckets or bags, but quickly found two old bottles of soft drinks. One was called "Delicious" and other "great eagle ". Delicious bottle shaped like a "Heinz" Ketchup. They were bottled in Cleveland, Ohio, and strangely, they are both 9 oz .. The glass of these bottles is sothick. It makes me laugh to think of the old movies where they show a fight and a bottle gets broken over someones head. Yeah right! If you tried that with these bottles you’d kill the person and no way would the bottle break.

I got to wondering about these old bottles, what flavor were they, was it a treat for some family or child, what kind of store sold them, why did they go out of business. I asked Dad if he remembered these brands. He had no recollection other than their factory was probably located downtown somewhere. Our conversation went on to other beverages of yesteryear. Dad said one of his favorites was an orange drink called Bireley’s Orange Soda. And of course pop tastes better in glass bottles. For beers his preferred choice was Ballantine. He also mentioned Cleveland brewed beers such as Leisy’s and Erin Brew. As with many other types of businesses the family or privately owned beverage company is getting harder and harder to find, even though there are some microbreweries around that make excellent beer.

I went on the Internet to research these two bottles. I wasn’t able to find anything on the “Delicious Beverage Company†but was able to on the “Double Eagle Bottling Companyâ€. Double Eagle began production in 1909 on St. Clair Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio and ceased production in 1959.

If you remember either one of these pops or if this short story jogs your memory of a favorite soft drink or beer of years ago post a comment, I would love to hear about it.

Carey K. Masci

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I am dumbfounded... I have never seen a greater butchery of the English language... That person is beyond help.

ys_engrish.jpg

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

I am dumbfounded... I have never seen a greater butchery of the English language... That person is beyond help.

No kidding. That was exhausting![:D]

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Interesting. Once I got past the wording and poor grammar, I realized that they must be talking about Daniels Park or somewhere near there. The big flood of 5-6 years ago washed out all sorts of stuff along the river banks. That is over an hour from me and not worth the gas to go check it out, unless it is recent. I'm guessing this is years old and the bottles are probably gone and the eroding landfill fixed.

towhead

Reaction score
March 15, 2011....Here: http://betterbottle.blogge.rs/2011/03/15/the-old-bottle-dump-do-you-remember/

-Julie

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu