Splitting Privy finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CALDIGR2

First thing is that YOU DO NOT KEEP WHAT YOU DIG! Anyone who ascribes to that silly notion will not be digging with our crew. One fool tried it and was quickly and forcefully determined to not even think that way. His last dig with me involved me was around 15 yrs ago.

The coin flip works best for us. I prefer to dig with only one partner, but on rare occasions we have another along to complicate matters. The first pick continues on a regular rotation, but very valuable bottles are either bought out by one partner or sold and the profits split 50/50. This has worked for me and my buds for many years. No whining, no arguments, just diggin' fun. Heck, I could care less about most of the common stuff we dig anyway, so I let my partner take the majority of it. Yesterday's privies kicked out plenty of local pharmacy bottles, and stuff like Hostetter's, a few amber beers, sodas, and assorted patent meds. I took home exactly two pharmacies, he kept the rest. Two buckets full of bottles for him, two bottles for me, fair enough.

YOU MAY NOT KEEP WHAT YOU DIG,,BUT WE DO LOL, always have always will.The thing about these threads if that some people forget that other digger's do not have to do what you feel is "the right way",people do things differently. It works for us.We both agreed on it when we first started to dig together.,and never had a problem.Not once.
So To the guy who wrote this thread, you do what you feel is RIGHT AND FAIR.Pick what you like out of all this and and go dig a privy.

Like I said if I dig with others that have the flip rule,I will do it,But with Paul and I we KEEP WHAT WE FIND.

baltbottles

Reaction score
All I can say is keeping what you personally dig may work for those whom collect just any bottles that they dig. It doesn't work very well when one of the digging partners collect a specific type of bottle.

For example you collect inks and you are digging the trash layer and you find an embossed pontiled medicine. You likely don't really care about the pontiled medicine. It's a nice bottle but not what you collect. Then your digging partner gets in the hole and finds a green pontiled umbrella ink on his turn. As an ink collector the umbrella ink is something you would keep for your collection.

If you do a fair split after the dig is finished both partners would have an equal chance at getting the ink.

And if both digging partners are good friends I'm sure your partner would let you have the ink for your collection and take the pontiled medicine. And I'm sure when you find something he really wants you would let him have it in the split.

Its always best to just lay out all the bottles and decide who would like to have what for their collection. If one partner wants to buy out the other on a valuable bottle that was found. What if any bottles will be sold and the profits split. Who will be the one selling said bottles. Before you do any coin flips. Once this has all been disscussed there should be no changes made about what to do with a bottle later.

Chris

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Digging what you dig doesn't fly when your bud digs a $5K bitters or whiskey and you pull a Hostetter's, or worse. Once some diggers get in a pit you can't get them out until all the jugs are done. Nah, some "newbys" might like that method, but we dig too many "heavies" to play that. Keeping it "even" works best for us. Our "crew" consists of me and one other digger. We do like Chris and the "Balto Boyz". A while back we dug a nice Western med that Chuck really wanted. No problem, it's his. My turn will come. I have been at this game for 50 yrs, so not many bottles get me wound up these days. Being greedy gets you stressed unnecessarily.

California Dream N

Reaction score
I think the most important thing is have all this crap figured out before the probe or shovel meets the ground...This is why I mostly dig with my Hubby..Ca. is a community property state...Goes the same place...lol...

CALDIGR2 is right in his point that one person digs the only $$$ bottle in a hole..that maybe you got the permission for and probed out. And someone hogs the pit...Settle this stuff before you dig... Norene

privvydigger

Reaction score
We rotate position. There is several rotations, sodas, bitters, blobs(local) squats and its a rotation for the pics of the rest of the stuff. It works cause everyone gets a great one every third pit. Sometimes we rotate just on blobs and the rotation moves so you could end up being 1st for two things. I'm up for bitters cause gravedigger got an Indian queen bitters, gravedigger is up for historical flask cause slakoper got one. we start the rotation on the bottle on who's turn it is. A rotation only happens when all three agree its a worthy rotation. Also when the hole is being dug, as the bottles come out and its your turn you get it unless damaged you pass to the oics and it sits there till the end. You probably don't dig as many pits as we do so this ended up working like a good german pocket watch. It seems complex and at times it is but nobody ever leaves the hole with a pit in their stomach. We don't play the game of who gets permission either. we have a guest digger spot that we bring someone on and give them a taste. Yesterday I secured an 1850 hotel/saloon Barbershop and Company home. I won't get the first pic cause I'm not up....but hey its about digging botles and having fun. see we rotate as they come out so the best bottle may be the 3rd one to come out so the guy at the end is a happy man.
any ?'s

Plumbata

Reaction score
I've only dug 1 privy and did it alone so splitting was a non-issue.

Since dumps are the typical digging fare, it is natural that each person keeps what they dig. When my father and I dig, everything new and local is absorbed into "our" Peoria collection (I've dug and bought over 90% of it myself but he is my loving father after all), so that is not an issue. He did buy a nice but common Peoria pontiled med for 20 bucks lately so the arrangement works well for both of us. When my brother helps dig he gives me everything he finds, as he just likes the experience of getting out, getting exercise, and seeing what comes out. I try to make it more worthwhile for him by buying him dinner and tasty snacks though.

One situation where keeping what one digs led to some personal annoyance was when I had dug a rather nice 8X8 by 5 foot deep crater in a 1910s-20s dumpsite and my school buddy came by after I had done most of the work. I went to talk to the girfriend on the cell and when I returned 5 minutes later he had scratched from the side of my pit an awesome blown pint Buffalo Trace whiskey from Stomping Grounds, KY. with an embossed buffalo. I ignored my annoyance, congratulated him, and let him keep it because it was the best thing he had found anywhere until then. If memory serves, I had pulled a very nice intact 5 gallon jug from the pit already so it wasn't like I didn't get anything myself. No sense in being greedy and holding his lack of familiarity with digging etiquette against him, as he is a great dude and we need more people like him involved with the hobby, not upset with the hobby.

As far as team-digging of pits goes I think that PD had a good system, assuming I understand it correctly. Seems pretty fair to me. I think it is also fair for the permission-getter to automatically get 1st pick (assuming it isn't always the same person), and think that spectators (in essence) who never pick up a shovel should not be allowed 1st pick unless there are worthy extenuating circumstances, such as past generosity, permission-obtaining, or temporary health problems like a thrown shoulder.

#1twin

Reaction score
That is hilarious MATT[:D][:D][:D] LOL Reading all this, I thank the good man above that I dig alone.
One thing I am curious about though. Do you set a time of how long a digger stays in the hole?
Marvin

lexdigger

Reaction score
Dang Plum, I'd LOVE to see a pic of that Buffalo Trace bottle! Did you happen to get one? I HOPE, for your sake, it was clear and not Amber!!!
P.S. it's Stamping Grounds... not Stomping Grounds. LOL ;)

kastoo

Reaction score
I wish I could find a privy to dig! Eh, one day maybe. For now it's dumps....and keep what you find. It would irritate me more to lose something nice to a toss than if someone found it before me. I didn't have to tell anyone about this dump, it was virgin when I was given permission BUT what fun is that...I hate digging alone...look! I found A...! Oh snap...no one's around let me get my cell phone. When someones there I can get stupid....and declare YAHOO! It's so much more meaningful, haha.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown