square-round bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nours82

Reaction score
hi guys!
what a great thing it is to have a site about bottles!
here is a very nice one i found while scuba diving in the harbour of Port Vila, Vanuatu.
it only had 1cm of the bottom part sticking out of the sand.
It is about 25 cm high, and seems to have two moulded parts stuck together. the top part however seeems to have been added on top, because the weld doesnt show there.
there had been a cyclone through the island a couple of weeks previously, so the bottom of the sea must have been stirred up a little.
what I'm hoping to get from you guys is a little help about the worth of the bottle, but more important, where its from, what it contained, and how old it is.
thank you very much!
dave

Lj22803.jpg

Attachments

• Lj22803.jpg
    Lj22803.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 77

IRISH

Reaction score
G'day Dave and welcome to the forum.
Your bottle is a Gin bottle known as a "case gin", the seams in it are from the two part mould they blew them in. Most of them came from Holland, value is not a lot unless they are embossed or sealed (glass seal, usualy on the sholder), AU$10 is about it. They are a great old bottle to find though [;)] .

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
Hey Irish, what would that be in US dollars? I have the same bottle- same color and everything.

nours82

Reaction score
cheers mate for the info, i'd been wondering for quite a while what it had been for, but never got around to take pics and post them!
IRISH, did you happen to see pics of another bottle i found in bottany bay, NSW?
thanx for all and see ya around buddy!

IRISH

Reaction score
No problems [;)] , pleased to be able to help.

Digger, our doller is worth about 25% less than the US doller depending on the markets.

LeendertDros

Reaction score
Hallo,

I have some cellar bottles in my collection from around 1780 upto 1870. I don't have seen your bottle with my own eyes but it's seems a 2nd half 19th century cellarbottle. The shape is usefull by shipping, foot and top on and on, stable on board and less space. It has some marks on the bottom. A lot are produced in England and the Netherlands, especially around Rotterdam to contain the dutch Jenever. In general these bottles where used for high spirituals. I can not say about the value, haven't seen this example. Is there a name on it? I guess you have to think around 50,- to 100,- dollar but that's the dutch price!

Greetings Leendert

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey