Stackable?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hello, Chris . . .

Sorry that I mis-spelled your name -- just a lapse. I am not interested in anything here but coming to an understanding of terms.

Thank you for posting the illustrations from your book. I think that you have answered my questions with these illustrations.

--My bottles would be considered "sealed cognac" bottles in OZ even though they are not from the Cognac Region, but from the Medoc Region.

--There is no traditional cognac bottle shape. (How then did you identify Kelley's bottle as a "cognac"??)

It is clear from the illustrations that "sealed cognac" is a regionalism with an inherent contradiction. The French didn't make cognac in Medoc; by definition, they couldn't. They did make brandy which is what these bottles may have contained. All cognac is brandy, but not all brandy is cognac.

Remember that what we are talking about are traditional bottle shapes that have endured for hundreds of years. There are traditional shapes for bordeaux, for burgundy, and for champagne (not to mention the German wine bottles). There is no traditional shape for brandy in general, nor for cognac in particular.

I'm satisfied with that understanding.

Happy Birthday!

--------Harry Pristis

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu