Star of David bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tisme

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me what this small bottle is. It has a star of david with the initials M O in the middle.
20201222_184441.jpg

Enasteri

Reaction score
Thank-you for identif
Early doll's milk bottle made in Germany View attachment 215934
Wow. What is the date on the box or the paperwork? Was it during WWII in Germany? I ask because my research shows these bottle were used in synagogues and held holy anointing oil. I'm wondering if the Nazis took these bottles from synagogues and temples they destroyed, dumped out the oil and repackaged them as doll's milk bottles. Your bottle doesn't have the same top on it as in the picture on the paper. Let me know if you find a date on the box or paperwork.

Enasteri

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me what this small bottle is. It has a star of david with the initials M O in the middle.
View attachment 215924
My research shows these were used in synagogues or temples and held holy anointing oil. I'm wondering about the box and paper shown above by Ye Olde Prospector that shows it was a doll's milk bottle from Germany. I think these bottles were taken by Nazis from temples/synagogues during WWII and repackaged as doll's milk bottles. That is pure speculation on my part, but what other explanation is there for using Jewish bottles as a toy in Germany when Jews were so hated back then? Examples of Nazis stealing from synagogues. https://www.dw.com/en/what-the-nazi...es-during-the-november-1938-pogrom/a-46215426

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
My research shows these were used in synagogues or temples and held holy anointing oil. I'm wondering about the box and paper shown above by Ye Olde Prospector that shows it was a doll's milk bottle from Germany. I think these bottles were taken by Nazis from temples/synagogues during WWII and repackaged as doll's milk bottles. That is pure speculation on my part, but what other explanation is there for using Jewish bottles as a toy in Germany when Jews were so hated back then? Examples of Nazis stealing from synagogues. https://www.dw.com/en/what-the-nazi...es-during-the-november-1938-pogrom/a-46215426
Do you have primary sources showing that these were used for holy anointing oil? If not, it could be like the bottles on the west coast which are widely known as "opium bottles" despite that having just been someone's incorrect guess decades ago which has been endlessly repeated. Round-bottom soda bottles being "ballast bottles" is another one which is endlessly repeated with no evidence to back it up.
The label shown looks like it predates WWII by several decades so I doubt it had anything to do with Nazis - especially because washing oil out of a bottle like that would be far more work than it was worth and I can't imagine that Nazis would want their children playing with toys marked with a Star of David. There was definitely plenty of antisemitism in Germany before the 30s but it wasn't as universal and extreme as during the Nazi era so it wouldn't be as uncharacteristic for something to be marked with a Star of David around the turn of the 20th century or so.
What I'm wondering is, what does MO stand for? Because I found another doll bottle which was made in Japan in the 50s that's also marked MO, although with a different design than a Star of David. It must have had some meaning, but I have no clue what.
1653240499122.png

There's another one here marked K-B as well.
1653240599225.png

This picture has one marked MO but with a circle instead of a Star of David to the left of the large one
1653240720371.png

Enasteri

Reaction score
Do you have primary sources showing that these were used for holy anointing oil? If not, it could be like the bottles on the west coast which are widely known as "opium bottles" despite that having just been someone's incorrect guess decades ago which has been endlessly repeated. Round-bottom soda bottles being "ballast bottles" is another one which is endlessly repeated with no evidence to back it up.
The label shown looks like it predates WWII by several decades so I doubt it had anything to do with Nazis - especially because washing oil out of a bottle like that would be far more work than it was worth and I can't imagine that Nazis would want their children playing with toys marked with a Star of David. There was definitely plenty of antisemitism in Germany before the 30s but it wasn't as universal and extreme as during the Nazi era so it wouldn't be as uncharacteristic for something to be marked with a Star of David around the turn of the 20th century or so.
What I'm wondering is, what does MO stand for? Because I found another doll bottle which was made in Japan in the 50s that's also marked MO, although with a different design than a Star of David. It must have had some meaning, but I have no clue what.
View attachment 237094

There's another one here marked K-B as well.
View attachment 237095

This picture has one marked MO but with a circle instead of a Star of David to the left of the large one
View attachment 237096
My sources are these: My own historical knowledge of Nazis stealing from Jews and reusing, reselling their possessions, (plus research to verify this online at history websites) the knowledge that the symbol on the bottles is definitely the Star of David, a symbol of Jews and Judaism, a testimony from a Jewish person that said the bottles were not used for holy water because Jews don’t use holy water, they use Holy oil for anointing. I have also written to 2 Jewish scholars about the symbols on the bottle and I am awaiting their answers. I have written to 1 German historian about the possibility of Nazis taking over a Jewish anointing oil factory and I am awaiting his answer.

There is a lot of speculation about what the initials MO refer to. Some say Mount of Olives, some say Moses’ Oil but I think the more likely guess is Myrrh Oil, since Jewish anointing oil is often made from myrrh. I have asked my Jewish scholar contacts to comment on this. MO could also stand for some Hebrew words. I hope my Jewish scholars will tell me what they know. I will let you know if they get back to me.

Since your bottle and box seem to be from pre-Nazi era Germany, perhaps the baby doll toy company contracted with the anointing oil company for use of their bottles, since they were the right size. Otherwise I can’t think of a reason a toy for dolls would have Jewish symbols on them in Germany, or anywhere else.

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
My sources are these: My own historical knowledge of Nazis stealing from Jews and reusing, reselling their possessions, (plus research to verify this online at history websites) the knowledge that the symbol on the bottles is definitely the Star of David, a symbol of Jews and Judaism, a testimony from a Jewish person that said the bottles were not used for holy water because Jews don’t use holy water, they use Holy oil for anointing. I have also written to 2 Jewish scholars about the symbols on the bottle and I am awaiting their answers. I have written to 1 German historian about the possibility of Nazis taking over a Jewish anointing oil factory and I am awaiting his answer.

There is a lot of speculation about what the initials MO refer to. Some say Mount of Olives, some say Moses’ Oil but I think the more likely guess is Myrrh Oil, since Jewish anointing oil is often made from myrrh. I have asked my Jewish scholar contacts to comment on this. MO could also stand for some Hebrew words. I hope my Jewish scholars will tell me what they know. I will let you know if they get back to me.

Since your bottle and box seem to be from pre-Nazi era Germany, perhaps the baby doll toy company contracted with the anointing oil company for use of their bottles, since they were the right size. Otherwise I can’t think of a reason a toy for dolls would have Jewish symbols on them in Germany, or anywhere else.
It's possible that the six-pointed star is unrelated to Jewish symbolism in this case. I've seen bottles using it in the past which don't seem to have any connection to Judaism, although most times it indicated a Jewish owner. Since M-O also appears on doll bottles which were made in Japan after the war, I have my doubts that it has anything to do with Judaism. Also, your guesses as to what it stands for are all in English - if these bottles were intended for use in Germany it would presumably stand for something in German. The Japanese bottles seem to be intended for use in English-speaking markets though, so I really have no idea which language it might be in that case.

In terms of the manufacturer, unrelated embossing was pretty much never used for products ordered from a glass factory by a different customer. It was very easy to alter a mold to remove embossing if someone wanted to re-use existing molds. I'm pretty confident that the people selling these baby bottles wanted that embossing on there, but I can't begin to guess why or what it means.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
One possibility is that it's a knockoff of a well-known baby bottle design. I wonder if it could be intended to invoke the Acme Nursing Bottle without violating any patents.
1653326107232.png

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky