Star of David bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
It's hard to believe that a Jewish ceremonial oil bottle would be embossed in English "M O" instead of Yiddish "מ אָ". Trying to reconcile the strong evidence of "doll nurser" with the zero evidence for "Myrrh Oil" using the Nazi canard is just preposterous.

Enasteri

Reaction score
It's hard to believe that a Jewish ceremonial oil bottle would be embossed in English "M O" instead of Yiddish "מ אָ". Trying to reconcile the strong evidence of "doll nurser" with the zero evidence for "Myrrh Oil" using the Nazi canard is just preposterous.
I agree, but since this bottle was sold in Germany as evidenced by Ye Olde Prospector above, perhaps they used the Latin letters instead. It is an enigma with all these various symbols together.

Enasteri

Reaction score
It's possible that the six-pointed star is unrelated to Jewish symbolism in this case. I've seen bottles using it in the past which don't seem to have any connection to Judaism, although most times it indicated a Jewish owner. Since M-O also appears on doll bottles which were made in Japan after the war, I have my doubts that it has anything to do with Judaism. Also, your guesses as to what it stands for are all in English - if these bottles were intended for use in Germany it would presumably stand for something in German. The Japanese bottles seem to be intended for use in English-speaking markets though, so I really have no idea which language it might be in that case.

In terms of the manufacturer, unrelated embossing was pretty much never used for products ordered from a glass factory by a different customer. It was very easy to alter a mold to remove embossing if someone wanted to re-use existing molds. I'm pretty confident that the people selling these baby bottles wanted that embossing on there, but I can't begin to guess why or what it means.
Yes, after doing more research on the internet, I found that the six pointed star was used in Hinduism, a symbol that indicates the unity of opposites (two triangles oriented in opposite directions.) A hexagram figure of a six-pointed star was also used in mysticism/occultism as a talisman or for conjuring spirits. If we could get a date of these bottles we would have a better idea of which symbol this is supposed to be. None of that explains why it would be used on a doll's bottle in Germany.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yes, after doing more research on the internet, I found that the six pointed star was used in Hinduism, a symbol that indicates the unity of opposites (two triangles oriented in opposite directions.) A hexagram figure of a six-pointed star was also used in mysticism/occultism as a talisman or for conjuring spirits. If we could get a date of these bottles we would have a better idea of which symbol this is supposed to be. None of that explains why it would be used on a doll's bottle in Germany.
It might not mean anything. If they were trying to suggest the design of the Acme Nurser without copying it directly then they may have just chosen a fairly similar star design. Some of those symbols used in occultism were reused as meaningless decorations later on.

I would like to know what M-O stands for, but it's possible the letters were chosen randomly for the sake of a fictional logo.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp