Started Marble Collecting

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Hiya .....skadman4... is that what you'd like us to call you? or Skad? any ways, The first pic shows those modern art marbles made in Asia or Mexico, maybe Europe. For the most part, purist mib collectors dislike these and other modern remakes.. But it is up to the individual (when I find these in yard sales and or in mixed lots that Ive bought or traded for, I crush them and dispose in recycling or trash. Second pic has at least two caged cats eyes (not certain about the white one might be a semi transparent swirl) They may be American.
The third pic shows mostly late machine made(1950's-1970's) American opaque patches and swirls... Possibly Master Made, Vitro Agate, Heaton... There are some suspicious mibs mixed in there as well ...the ones that are super glossy are probably off continent new mibs.
Last marble pic ....I'm not sure about... I have seen and held modern mibs made from antique cullet that have created new unusual color combinations that also feel old and will often times fluoresce (glow in a different color) under UV light. These kinda look like those types.
And the book is fine addition to a collectors library I have six or seven, Robert Block and Everett Grist have plenty of good tomes, but there are dozens available. There were many web sites around dealing info and values to collectors- Robert Block even has an auction site too.
Have fun - I hope Ive helped a little,
~Fred

treeguyfred

Reaction score
some of my books and a couple of mounted displays,
~Fred

Attachments

• IMG_5429.JPG
    IMG_5429.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 273
  • IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 274
  • IMG_5434.JPG
    IMG_5434.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 280

Kheidecker

Reaction score
Does that first jar picture with the bail have anything written on it.looks like an odd shaped pint or half pint.

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
Antique marbles (Hand made) can be worth big money, as you have probably found out by now. That is why identification is so important,

Skadman4

Skadmans3
Reaction score
Does that first jar picture with the bail have anything written on it.looks like an odd shaped pint or half pint.
Ended up not buying it, its modern storage jar from hobby lobby and one small jar not a set of three, read the add wrong

Sent from my SM-S260DL using Tapatalk

Skadman4

Skadmans3
Reaction score
Antique marbles (Hand made) can be worth big money, as you have probably found out by now. That is why identification is so important,
I'm not sure what I have actually and have just finished grouping them. To start looking them up. But I like to imagine I have a brilliant rare assortment. To me anyway, cause they are all beautiful and unique

Sent from my SM-S260DL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac