Still New to Bottle Collecting. Need Help!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
I have searched everywhere, for information on this bottle I can’t find anything, anywhere, at least none that I’m aware of, so here’s a awful picture of the bottle, but I will give a full detailed description. Or at least, the best description I can do, since I am still new to this. If I messed up on using a word, just tell me... and I'll fix it.

Embossing: Right on the rim of the base on one front (no label, don't know the front from the back...) it says in all caps, LV & the other side it says FRANCE.

Height: 5 ½ inches tall, the base is 2 inches wide & the mouth is 1 inch wide.

Mouth: No lip, I’m thinking it might have been a perfume bottle with the dipper, but if not, then the lip is broken off. There’s chips missing around where the lip should be & the opening is off center. The mold seams stop before it gets to the very top, before where the lip is broken off.

Base of the bottle: Uneven & wobbles when I set it down, no pontil mark, uneven circle around the starburst looking middle. Or more like a flower with really skinny petals.

The shape: Flares at the bottom of base, curves, widens & then there’s two humps before the seam ends at the thicker embossed hump and then there’s smooth & then the cracked/chipped part where the lip should be.

No label or embossed design on it anywhere except for the LV & FRANCE.

Color: Clear, with pink-ish tint & has small bubbles in the glass.

Condition: Inside has dirt stains, missing lip & really uneven seams the whole bottle is pretty much uneven everywhere else.

What I would like to know: If anyone knows what kind of bottle this is, what it was used for maybe? What does LV mean? I googled it... And kept getting Louis Vuitton, but Louis Vuitton never came out with a scent, or anything else that goes in a bottle, that I am aware of, I may have missed it Idk. But mainly just want to know, what LV means cause then I'll somewhat know what it was used for, year, history, any information would be greatly appreciated. This bottle has wracked my brain.

DA623441970942A28419D58A063F2D30.jpg

Attachments

• DA623441970942A28419D58A063F2D30.jpg
    DA623441970942A28419D58A063F2D30.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 83
Reaction score
Map Description, because the photo is so cheap...

9457296BDDE34B75969549BBCEFE5CD4.jpg

Attachments

• 9457296BDDE34B75969549BBCEFE5CD4.jpg
    9457296BDDE34B75969549BBCEFE5CD4.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 90

girlie

Reaction score
Hi there. I too is still new in collecting bottles. I'm loving this site.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for becoming FORUM users ) both bottlesbottles and you girlie: The best place to start is to put your bottle in a pan with water and denture cleaner ( a cheap one from Walmart ). Next then is to take an angled picture of the top finish with the chip towards the camera, take an angular picture of the bottom, and a body picture that shows the embossing.

Then tell me how you put the pictures identities and the sketch of the bottom markings on the picture you showed us.

The bottle is no doubt old, because of the mold lines stopping before they got to the neck. This tells us that it might have been a hand blown bottle. The marked circle on the bottom could have been a makers mark or a company trade mark. A big question to me would be the size of the center dot. If it is large then that would tell me it was a vent dot. When a parison of glass is blown in the closed final bottle mold, the air between the outside of the parison and the inside of the mold has to have a place to escape before the glass can be completely blown to the molds surfaces.

So I will watch for your next post. RED Matthews

girlie

Reaction score
Thank you very much sir RED Matthews..I'm looking forward to post my very first bottle pictures.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu