Stone Fizz

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

And this little tid-bit of information I thought was interesting ...

(I've heard of "evolution" bottles before, but this is taking the term to a new level) [:D]

http://xrl.us/bpzene

Man-o-man, Bob,

You aren't kidding. A real Inherit The Wind flavor. Could this be the "headquarters"?

7091Davis14.jpg

"Downtown Dayton, Tennessee, June 1925.

In May 1925, a group of Dayton civic leaders met at F.E. Robinson's Drugstore (sign visible on right) and decided to challenge Tennessee's new statute against the teaching of evolution. One motivation for holding the trial in Dayton was to revive the town's flagging economy." From. See a better photo of the facade of Robinson's Drug here @ page 10: >>>HERE<<<. Did you note the word "Soda" painred over the window.

4325238904_f36101d205.jpg

There's this: "1 STONE FIZZ 119 C TN Yellow/Tan Nm(M)" From Gono.com.

splb.h31.jpg

Morb, I think this is a very worthy subject for study. Good luck on the ground. I'm looking forward to learning more.

chattanooga.jpg

bottleopop

Reaction score
I have a Stone Fizz bottle. Unfortunately for me, it does not have the cool writing up on the shoulder. It has no writing except on the lowest part of the bottle looking pretty much the same as your bottle. It says:
PROPERTY OF
THE STONE FIZZ CO.
OF AMERICA
on the bottom inch of the bottle on one side, and:
6½ FLD. OZS.
on the opposite side.

Underneath the bottle, it says:
PATENTED
APR 26 21

That design patent is D57672.
It's a surface patent only. The bottle is covered with thousands of warts, each smaller then a millimeter. I see no evidence of the vertical lines shown in the patent's drawing; i guess they are an artist's rendering of a glass surface.

It's a bit disappointing but not at all surprising that it had a paper label. The spaces between the warts are designed to hold the glue, obviously. Without its paper label, mine is incomplete. It's about the only straight-side bottle in my collection.

morbious_fod

Reaction score

(I've heard of "evolution" bottles before, but this is taking the term to a new level) [:D]

Yeah that was the article that got me to thinking of doing my own article about the brand's history. This story would make a nice intro paragraph into the history of the brand.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottleopop

I have a Stone Fizz bottle. Unfortunately for me, it does not have the cool writing up on the shoulder. It has no writing except on the lowest part of the bottle looking pretty much the same as your bottle. It says:
PROPERTY OF
THE STONE FIZZ CO.
OF AMERICA
on the bottom inch of the bottle on one side, and:
6½ FLD. OZS.
on the opposite side.

Underneath the bottle, it says:
PATENTED
APR 26 21

That design patent is D57672.
It's a surface patent only. The bottle is covered with thousands of warts, each smaller then a millimeter. I see no evidence of the vertical lines shown in the patent's drawing; i guess they are an artist's rendering of a glass surface.

It's a bit disappointing but not at all surprising that it had a paper label. The spaces between the warts are designed to hold the glue, obviously. Without its paper label, mine is incomplete. It's about the only straight-side bottle in my collection.

Yeah that is the design patent I have. I just wanted to verify that the date on it matched what was on the bottle. There was apparently also another version designed by the same guy that I'm guessing didn't make the cut. Thanks.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

Man-o-man, Bob,

You aren't kidding. A real Inherit The Wind flavor. Could this be the "headquarters"?

7091Davis14.jpg

"Downtown Dayton, Tennessee, June 1925.

In May 1925, a group of Dayton civic leaders met at F.E. Robinson's Drugstore (sign visible on right) and decided to challenge Tennessee's new statute against the teaching of evolution. One motivation for holding the trial in Dayton was to revive the town's flagging economy." From. See a better photo of the facade of Robinson's Drug here @ page 10: >>>HERE<<<. Did you note the word "Soda" painred over the window.

4325238904_f36101d205.jpg

There's this: "1 STONE FIZZ 119 C TN Yellow/Tan Nm(M)" From Gono.com.

splb.h31.jpg

Morb, I think this is a very worthy subject for study. Good luck on the ground. I'm looking forward to learning more.

chattanooga.jpg

The article states that the order was made to the Chattanooga office through one of their representatives who was on site in Dayton, most likely to promote the brand during the media blitz that was this trial.

The Yellow and tan is the stoneware bottle, I would like to have one of those myself.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Regarding names associated with Stone Fizz ...

I found the following copy/pasted snippet view from a page in a 1925 "The Beverage Blue Book"

Stone Fizz Co. of America (Mur-kin ...

I tried to find the rest of the entry but failed. So I'm not sure what (Mur-kin ... refers to other than other entries like it that were in (parenthesise) indicated a name. ???

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

I looked at the entry again and it's actually like this ...

(Mur-
kin

It's a portion of an incomplete sentence so the dash indicates a drop-down continuation to the next line and probably reads

Murkin ...

However, there might be more letters to the 'name' such as Murkins - Murkinze - etc. ???

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~ P.S.

I'm finding snippets from various sources but the names keep eluding me. Anyway, whoever was the President of the "Volunteer State Life Insurance Company" of Chattanooga was also the President of the "Stone Fizz Company of America" in Chattanooga.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1