Stoneware Bottle Info

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Found this stoneware bottle (Broken) a few years ago. Not sure of age of it. Says "WALKER'S POP" on shoulder, very deeply indented. Anyone have info as when or where it may be from. Dug it up in Georgetown,
DSC00094 (19).JPG
Maine.
When did POP term come into use ?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow that's a great find! Your bottle must be one of the earliest bottles marked with "pop". (A quick search online suggests that its first recorded use was in 1812). Yours should date to the mid-19th century, I believe primitive bottles like this stopped being made in the 1870s or so.

Nickneff

Reaction score
Found this stoneware bottle (Broken) a few years ago. Not sure of age of it. Says "WALKER'S POP" on shoulder, very deeply indented. Anyone have info as when or where it may be from. Dug it up in Georgetown, View attachment 216881Maine.
When did POP term come into use ?
I would say it's a very early 1890s or could even be earlier than that the indention in the bottle I would think would be foregrip hold the bottle filled it up to drink it would be perfect for that give you a little grip do you know all in all I think the real neat bottle I'm so much enjoy seeing different things that I have never seen thanks for displaying it it's awesome

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Been into digging and collecting bottles for over 65 years still the only stoneware bottle I have seen labelled "POP" , just too bad it was broken. Saved the piece anyway. Been watching foe another one for years.

Cliff

bottles_inc

Reaction score
I would say 1840s to early 1850s. One of these sold for 70 bucks in 2015, but I think that's undervalued, even for 5 years ago. If you search ("walker's pop" antique bottle) without the parenthesis you can see a few examples that have sold at auction in the past. No info, though. The indent seems to be a manufacturing defect.
Screenshot_20210110-213402_Chrome.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've seen a much more common Pop Ginger beer stoneware bottle before called C.C. Haley California Pop from Maine, dated 1895 on Bottle & some with no dates. There is a Walker Ginger Beer Stoneware Bottle from Albany New York. LEON.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp