stoneware what is it

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Heres a strange stoneware thing that I've had for many years. It measures 6" tall not including wooden dowel and cork. the dowel is fastened in the bottom with rubber or something similar, allowing it to move. Way to small for a churn, and the mouth of the crock doesn't allow for enough movement of the wooden dowel so that it would be very effective for mixing. Any ideas?

FBACDCB1748C48DA8CE25E5B6630BD67.jpg

Attachments

• FBACDCB1748C48DA8CE25E5B6630BD67.jpg
    FBACDCB1748C48DA8CE25E5B6630BD67.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 39

Plumbata

Reaction score
I know it is way out-there, but I'll guess that the item is a honey jug, and the dowel is the handle to a rubber-headed honey dripper that slowly decomposed over the years and flowed to form the amorphous mass of gunk in the bottom that now holds the dowel in place. The cork kept the handle centered and dust out of the jar when not in use.

Alternately, it could have been a mucilage pot, with the dowel being the handle to the swab and the junk in the bottom consisting of what is left of the ancient adhesive mixture it once contained.

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Plumb, I think you nailed it with the honey pot. The inside has a sweet smell. It doesn't smell like honey, but it's probably the honey mixed with whatever was on the end of the stick. It seems obvious now, don't know why I didn't think of that.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Cool beans, glad I could help ya Todd.

I am wondering if it might be mucilage in the bottom though? I have no idea if/how the stuff has changed over the years but the gummed portions of modern stamps/envelopes have a "sweet" smell too.

I would put a little water in there. If it starts to reconstitute or dissolve the gunk then it certainly isn't old decomposed rubber material.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I'd have to choose honey over glue based on the look of the container, it's attractive enough to be on the kitchen counter..

Plumbata

Reaction score
Sneaky sneaky... [8D]

Back when the organic components of that set were new, pliable and fully hydrated I'd imagine the seal was just as effective as a solid cork. And if your water-based glues/gums start to dry out just to spite ya? Simply add a little more water, stir (and heat if really dry), and Presto! Good as new! [:D]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Sorry Plum.. I saw the error in my thinking as I hit "OK" ..[;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac