Stopped to pick up a six pack.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Slowmovangogh

Reaction score
The dump I've been digging is on the way home from work. I had an extra hour the other day and had my shovels in the car so I stopped for a quick dig. I very quickly found a pocket of those 1930s sodas I've been pulling. 2 of the 6 shown here turned out to be broken but it made for a nice picture. I'm up to about 40 of these sodas.

Attachments

• PXL_20210428_195917584.jpg
    PXL_20210428_195917584.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 114

RCO

Reaction score
The dump I've been digging is on the way home from work. I had an extra hour the other day and had my shovels in the car so I stopped for a quick dig. I very quickly found a pocket of those 1930s sodas I've been pulling. 2 of the 6 shown here turned out to be broken but it made for a nice picture. I'm up to about 40 of these sodas.

what do they look like cleaned ? haven't seen them yet

I find in the dumps here from that era ( 30's > 40's ) everything soda related is broken , I'd rarely finding anything that wasn't although I've read about other diggers finding soda's from that era in dumps but not much of that here

CanadianBottles

Reaction score

I find in the dumps here from that era ( 30's > 40's ) everything soda related is broken , I'd rarely finding anything that wasn't although I've read about other diggers finding soda's from that era in dumps but not much of that here
I think your problem is that you're digging household dumps. I rarely find them in household dumps, but they're common in town dumps and commercial dumps. Individuals would typically cash them in for the deposits, or kids would scavenge the out of the dumps for the same reason, but something like a hotel would be less concerned with deposits and bottlers would toss their outdated bottles or their competitors' bottles into the town dump where kids wouldn't get a chance to scavenge them.

RCO

Reaction score
I think your problem is that you're digging household dumps. I rarely find them in household dumps, but they're common in town dumps and commercial dumps. Individuals would typically cash them in for the deposits, or kids would scavenge the out of the dumps for the same reason, but something like a hotel would be less concerned with deposits and bottlers would toss their outdated bottles or their competitors' bottles into the town dump where kids wouldn't get a chance to scavenge them.

it easier to find household dumps here , either there on property that belonged to them or in wooded areas nearby

commercial dumps or town dumps are a bit harder to dig , sometimes easier to find as there on old maps but often covered over so all I could find were smaller dumpings not part of actual dump

we also didn't have a lot of bottlers in my area so not a lot of variety even if I were to find bottles , 90 % of the time I'd only find coca cola or Browns Beverages ( our main local )

Slowmovangogh

Reaction score
Here are some of the cleaned up ones. I've come to the conclusion that this dump was for a general store that was near by and possibly used by an inn. The dump is within 1/8 to 1/4 of a mile of either. There were several other businesses along the same strip that would have been in proximity to dump there also. I had figured it was from the Inn because there are tons of broken liquor bottles all over the place along with tons of large sized deco food jars but I was digging there yesterday and actually pulled up a rusty old Western union Telegrams sign which suggests it was from the store. I am going to put the sign and some of yesterdays finds in another post.

Attachments

• PXL_20210422_142547525~2.jpg
    PXL_20210422_142547525~2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 91
  • PXL_20210422_142914345~2.jpg
    PXL_20210422_142914345~2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 95

RCO

Reaction score
they look neat cleaned , can't make out the exact name on them , assuming there a local soda . seems odd they just threw them all away in such good condition .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac