Storm Damage...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Stardust

Reaction score
I hope everyone was OK ~ Roads can be repaired ~ Irene was sure in a nasty mood that day. She hit my town pretty hard. People still don't have power in many parts. I'm on a main transformer and got mine back in about 2 hours. The damage was all around on all the main roads. I thought the tree on the corner might just fall this time, but it managed to dance a mighty fine dance. But Irene threw my shingles all around. Friends have been coming over to wash their clothes here and I'm giving away flowering trees to those who lost theirs.

I've been worried about family and friends in Vermont, NH, NY, MD, VA, CT, NJ, MA, and Cape Cod ~ My prayers have been with everyone effected by the storm. Seeing it is one thing, but knowing places is another....Reality slapping you in the face. It was like wake up everyone, what's going on here. If I left any state out forgive me I'm a little brain dead right now, as I could find one of my family members till today ~ I think it about did me in ~ God Bless everyone and may there be a brighter tomorrow. May there be some good that come out of all of this, like people helping people ~ Hope all our bottle buddies are safe and sound ~
star ~ <3 <3 <3

swizzle

Reaction score
I know how you guys feel. It was quite an eerie experience walking up the side of the river and finding a 100lb propane tank that was ripped off of a home, 5 mailboxes all nailed on the same board on top of an island and 8 feet below the debris up in the tree. Seeing siding and fresh 2x4's and plywood from peoples homes scattered all down the side of the river banks was unbelievable. Recently there was a tree that fell at the lock that would take 2 people to wrap your arms around the base. The tree is gone!!It had to be all of 65 to 70 feet tall. The nice green lawn at the lock looks like God himself played gold and didn't replace the divots. How often do you see a force strong enough to toss an 18 wheeler into the river and slap it with a tree. I'll be taking more pics in the near future. Maybe we should dedicate this thread to all of the Irene damage. Here's 2 pics and a video from my area. I'll post more in a day or two.

Lock12vsIrene044.jpg

Lock12vsIrene046.jpg

The building on the right is in the next short video clip. It gives you an idea as to how high the water was. I talked to one of the lock workers and he said that the water had been going down all day. I was at work all day and didn't get this video until almost 5pm. I can't imagine what this must have looked like during its peak. Swiz

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/swizzlenutz/?action=view&current=Lock12vsIrene002.mp4

swizzle

Reaction score
Here's a couple more. These are only from our own Lock 12. Several other areas got it a lot worse then we did. To give you an idea as to how close it is to my house I walked here in less then 15 minutes to get the foggy videos. It was rainy and getting late so I apologize for the blurriness.
http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/swizzlenutz/?action=view&current=Lock12vsIrene003.mp4

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/swizzlenutz/?action=view&current=Lock12vsIrene035.mp4

Lock12vsIrene004.jpg

This last video shows some mailboxes that I found on top of an island by the river. Its only an island during high water like when the locks are down for the year. These are over 10 feet above the river and there's debris 8 feet up in the tree above. The building was placed here during the 2006 flood and Irene destroyed it and added more siding, the mailboxes and a variety of trash.

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/swizzlenutz/?action=view&current=Lock12vsIrene035-1.mp4

kwalker

Reaction score
The storm was godly to say the least...I went out in the woods yesterday....yikes.

The river has completely changed its course. It used to flow straight but five or six trees were ripped out of the ground and created islands in it diverting it elsewhere. Sad to say there were no bottles...only destroyed ones [:mad:] but it's sobering coming upon your digsite and it being totally razed by water. The dump is there no more... looks like I'm gonna have some digging to do I suppose. The entire area has been changed so much. Literally hundred year old trees are in the river creating walls of debris fifteen feet high. It's sad to think of what used to be and what's there now.

swizzle

Reaction score
I stopped down to the lock today and talked to a man there for a bit. There was another truck with a large diameter hose hooked up to the truck that's sitting in the river. He said that that truck was used for sand blasting and he thinks that they are sucking out the material that they use to sand blast with to make the truck lighter so that can work on pulling it out. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to be down there when they pull it out. Hopefully I can get some video of that. I also volunteered tonight to help with the clean up of the museum at lock 11. They have scheduled it for Sept. 10th but are awaiting final approval from the state. They have to make sure that its stable enough to allow people inside and they have structural engineers working on the project.

The guy I talked to also mentioned the town of Prattsburg or Prattsville. I can't quite recall which but the national guard has it completely blocked off due to the high casualty count. the whole town has pretty much been wiped off the map. He also gave me a good idea as to the height of the river. The historical marker pictured above was under about 2 feet of water. So it was at least 4 feet higher then what I have in the videos. Does anyone know what the casualty count is so far? I haven't seen the news lately but its gotta be up there. Swiz

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi