Strange Color/ Milnes & Son Torpedo Soda

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Could you highlight the embossing? I use a calligraphy marker. Hobby Lobby sells many items that are useful to this hobby. I would love to see the embossing. Painters pens I was suggested to use.

sunrunner

Reaction score
if the glass truly has red glass incorporated with in it the bottle was made with slag which wood have been at the bottom of the crushable . this was not uncommon in glass house in the mid 19th century mostly in England.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Spirit Bear said:
Could you highlight the embossing? I use a calligraphy marker. Hobby Lobby sells many items that are useful to this hobby. I would love to see the embossing. Painters pens I was suggested to use.
Careful doing that, if the embossing is at all worn it can be really hard getting all the ink off when it's no longer wanted. I've gotten bottles with highlighted embossing that have been super hard to clean.

MuddyMO

Reaction score
CanadianBottles said:
Doesn't look like that to me, too shiny.  I've never heard of minerals actually getting inside the glass, just coating the outside so that polishing would get rid of them.  This one looks like it's either not dug or polished, so sickness wouldn't really make sense.  I'm thinking it's a very funny batch of glass they used.  Doesn't look particularly intentional.

Not what I meant. Yes, glass has tons of pits or grooves microscopically, stuff gets in there, but not to the middle! I had meant on the inside of the bottle, the outside looks super clean. The inside had looked like it absorbed clay. It is hard to see in pics, but if the red is inside the glass and not a mineral patina coating the inside, then that's awesome!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I would say that your bottle had red glass melted inside the pouring crucible along with the aqua colored glass of the regular gather and that is what caused your bottle to be spotted with the reddish colored glass. The red glass could have been in the batch, but I believe it was in the crucible, because of the concentration of the colors. I believe that this was what Sunrunner meant when he wrote crushable instead of crucible....Andy

ND_IXL

Reaction score
thank you for all of this great information guys! Would that coloration in the glass make the bottle more or less desirable?

ND_IXL

Reaction score
oh sorry, It seems Jimbo already answered my question.Thanks

2find4me

Reaction score
Hope you don't mind if I post the eBay link. A letter to Milne & Sons, Here.Looks like a scarce bottle, can't find much info on it.

ND_IXL

Reaction score
Don't mind at all, the only Milnes bottles I have been able to find are those cod type soda/beer/mineral water bottles, those bottles did not seem to have as much age either. I'm still trying to figure out the value of this bottle and have yet to find anybody who has a clue lol, once again thanks to everyone who has provided me with information on this bottle! I'm happy with my purchase either way, a very cool bottle.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis