Super-Size Stoneware Pharmacy?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Hey guys. I got out before the snow today and dug this large glazed stoneware "beer" stamped: Llewellyn / 1410 Chestnut St. Llewellyn was not a brewer but rather a large and well-established pharmacy at that location from the 1860s until the 1910s. What would a pharmacy have sold in a large stoneware beer jug? When I cleaned it, the residual contents smelled like oyster stir-fry sauce. lol

Pics below. The pony beer is included for size. Any info appreciated.
Llewellyn Rx  large stoneware.jpg
Llewellyn stoneware stamp.jpg
Llewellyn Stoneware w Johnston pony.jpg

Nickneff

Reaction score
Hey guys. I got out before the snow today and dug this large glazed stoneware "beer" stamped: Llewellyn / 1410 Chestnut St. Llewellyn was not a brewer but rather a large and well-established pharmacy at that location from the 1860s until the 1910s. What would a pharmacy have sold in a large stoneware beer jug? When I cleaned it, the residual contents smelled like oyster stir-fry sauce. lol

View attachment 218189View attachment 218190View attachment 218191
man that thing is crude both pieces man that is a shame that bottles damaged on top look at the salt glazed on that stoneware

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice primitive stoneware! It has a distinct ginger beer look to me, which I suppose a pharmacy might have sold. That wouldn't explain the oyster smell but these things were also frequently reused.

brent little

Reaction score
They probably sold beer or ginger beer also. They crossed all sorts of lines back in the day.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score

View attachment 218189View attachment 218190View attachment 218191
Medicated beer? Beer being medicinal in itself.
ROBBYBOBBY64

EvansBottles

Reaction score
I've never seen one as large as this. There are small stoneware bottles shaped like that. Which have a Pharmacy's
name on them. I've seen Llewellyn in the small size. As well as at least one other Philly Pharmacy/drug store.
I doubt that they were beer bottles. I would place these in the 1890 to 1810 time frame.

Sodasandbeers

Reaction score
There a about half a dozen of these stoneware bottles from various Philadelphia druggists. They date 1870s thur 1890s. They all have slight pour spouts and I had one full of linseed oil. They were not used for beer or soda, but caustic chemicals sold by druggists.

RelicRaker

Reaction score
There a about half a dozen of these stoneware bottles from various Philadelphia druggists. They date 1870s thur 1890s. They all have slight pour spouts and I had one full of linseed oil. They were not used for beer or soda, but caustic chemicals sold by druggists.

Cool. Thanks for the info!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18