Swarm season approaches

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mingoman64

Reaction score
Any other bee keepers here? I have an apple orchard of 118 trees at last count and what started out with my walking up on a swarm has turned into a sizable bee yard.
During the spring and summer I set up boxes to attract bee swarms. Keeps them out of houses and gets me free bees.
Here's a short video of a swarm I watched fly in last May.
The picture is the same box and location 2 years ago.

60ebc7f1b2456f095b40f81a255928f0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

willong

Reaction score
"You hear me yelp, you'll know they did mind me."

Love it!

Reminds me of the time a swarm settled into alder sapling in overgrown lot next to house we were living in at the time (1971). My father and I decided we'd try to gather them into a Styrofoam cooler after dark when they'd be "less aggressive" :rolleyes:. It did not end well that night; but it brings misty eyes and a grin to my face now!

I yelped twice while getting stung right through the sleeve of the heavy wool shirt I was wearing for "protection" and dropped the cooler. Dad, 46 at the time, took about four long strides and vaulted the picket fence between our front lawn and the tangled lot. He did a barrel roll on the grass and came up running, all while laughing uproariously!

My father escaped unscathed. Disappointment, two stings and wounded pride were the extent of my injuries. Unfortunately, the swarm was nowhere to be found the next day.

mingoman64

Reaction score
Do you use a swarm lure - a swarm like those could be worth 150 $
Yes, I've used lemon grass oil, just a drop or two, and swarm commander.
Not sure what they add in there, but I've forgotten it in my shirt pocket before and wondered why all the bees were following me around.

mingoman64

Reaction score
"You hear me yelp, you'll know they did mind me."

Love it!

Reminds me of the time a swarm settled into alder sapling in overgrown lot next to house we were living in at the time (1971). My father and I decided we'd try to gather them into a Styrofoam cooler after dark when they'd be "less aggressive" :rolleyes:. It did not end well that night; but it brings misty eyes and a grin to my face now!

I yelped twice while getting stung right through the sleeve of the heavy wool shirt I was wearing for "protection" and dropped the cooler. Dad, 46 at the time, took about four long strides and vaulted the picket fence between our front lawn and the tangled lot. He did a barrel roll on the grass and came up running, all while laughing uproariously!

My father escaped unscathed. Disappointment, two stings and wounded pride were the extent of my injuries. Unfortunately, the swarm was nowhere to be found the next day.
They'll get you sometimes.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky