T. W. Dyott, His first paper labeled medicine bottle 1798-1805

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Well, I'm feeling better about this now!
I tried to transport my brain back to 1798, so to speak.. imaging Dr. Dyott getting his business off the ground in early America, where resources were scarce.. I can imagine prints of this ad being made specifically as labels for his bottles, especially before the first embossed ones came out. My question is, did this ad appear in any newspapers during 1798 and 1805?

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Just some pictures from the Corning museum.Dyott slapped someones Port wine label on this G-1-14 Washington Eagle Firecracker flask.It is in poor shape but was done in the year 1826.The label sits right on the uneven edges of Washington's breast plate on his bust.It has worn away some, because of how it rests on the bottle. It is esay to see how it could have worn and withered away from being attached to high and low points.

FBF34160484648B4BB9D2D2779010B1B.jpg

Attachments

• FBF34160484648B4BB9D2D2779010B1B.jpg
    FBF34160484648B4BB9D2D2779010B1B.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 90

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Some labeled medicines form the Corning museum,I see the wrapped bottle to the right Gunther you spoke of.It almost looks like a marbel bag.Look at the green cylinder vial/utility bottle with the large label and huge push up pontil,that might be 1770s to 80s!!Maybe Chris from Baltbottles can shed a little light on this post I admire his advice also and forgot to include him initialy.

5D93F86AE2EF4934A2B1EFB5B6D69A13.jpg

Attachments

• 5D93F86AE2EF4934A2B1EFB5B6D69A13.jpg
    5D93F86AE2EF4934A2B1EFB5B6D69A13.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 101

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
If you look at the border on the label on the Spirits and Camphor bottle it is similar to the one tucked underneath the label on The Dyott bottle.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
..see the name on the "Spirits Camphor" label?? [;)]

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif] Chuck you have a keen eye!!![sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif] GEO H. BUSH Dana Carvey impersonation.........NOT GONNA DO IT,Not gonna raise your taxes.Chuck you have never failed me yet you can find humor better then the good humor man!!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
My question is, did this ad appear in any newspapers during 1798 and 1805?
The only reference that I know that might be an authority is McKearin. Those books are now 30-40+ years old and who knows what info and bottles have surfaced since them. Those books all state that Dyott didn't arrive in the US until sometime 1804-05.
I'd love to see new info and the facts to substantiate those dates if they were available. I'm more a history hound than a bottle collector. It just happens I'm more interested in bottles that most other antiques.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Eric that is the guess of Helen Mckearin 1804 to 1805.Others have thought 1797 probably the only way to really tell would be to get a hold of the ships passenger record he came to America on.Either way if the bottle is genuine and a first generation bottle of Dyotts Family medicines then the age of 1805,1806 or 1807 is not out of question as the embossed bottle was thought to have debuted in 1809.When Helen Mckearin wrote her book there were only two recorded embossed bottles known.Two years ago on eBay someone from South Carolina found one did not know what he had,yet people I being one of them came forward and gave him the correct information as to the rarity and true value of the bottle.I bid 2200 and lost in the last second.A year later last year I lost again in the closing seconds at Jim Pastors online auction at 2395.00.Forum member Blade found an almost complete bottle and I won his auction on eBay which is the bottle shown in this post.Baltbottles Chris found one last year and sold it for a good amount he told us.So now we know of the 4 recent bottles and the two spoken about by Helen Mckearin that totals 6 in 80 years.There are probably more to be found and some will be found you are just not going to find a whole lot of them.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi Steve, I made it to the older post. Thanks for all your work of providing information that we couldn't possibly know otherwise. Your presentations are of great value to me, and I really respect and appreciate your efforts and action. RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Those books are now 30-40+ years old and who knows what info and bottles have surfaced since them.
Exactly why I stated this Steve. You've stated many compelling arguments since my initial comment, which was not in any way meant to say you were wrong. I'm very pleased that your confident in your purchase/swap.
I never stated I was an expert and admitted to not being one. I saw something that concerned me and felt compelled to say so. I'm learning more by the minute and I thank you for all your comments and pictures.
I've felt for a long time that someone should put out a new book with updated material. I've over the years found new info such as bill heads etc that seam to confirm a maker mark that was previously unknown. The info is out there, it just needs to be recompiled. 40 years is to long in this high tech world. I AM NOT THAT PERSON.
Eric

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac