Taking good Pictures?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Roy

Reaction score
My experience, yours may vary:

You can be as creative as you want to be with the editing software, but the following basic things will improve anyone's images:

GROUP IMAGES of more than two or three bottles are not effective. The more individual bottles in an image, the greater the amount of shelf is in the image. Viewers cannot see the details of a bottle that might take up less than five percent of the total image. Photograph a single bottle (or two or three), and post that image.

COLORLESS/AQUA bottles are best photographed back-lit by a diffused light source. Hold the camera 4 - 6 feet from the bottle, best on a tripod. Adjust brightness and contrast, then crop the image. Hemihampton appears to have mastered this challenge.

EMBOSSMENT close-up of dark or black glass requires adjustment of light source, bottle surface, and/or camera until legibility is achieved. An acute angle of bottle to light source is a starting place.

DON'T OBSCURE details of the bottle by pinching it between your fingers. If you want to use fingers to provide scale, support the bottle from below ... that is, on top of your fingers. To improve the focus, rest your hand with the bottle on a stable surface like a table or desk. But, it’s usually best to avoid cluttering the background of the image with anything extraneous.

SCALE is important in some cases. Provide measurements of your bottle in millimeters and inches for the widest audience. Don't use a coin for scale; there are many foreign subscribers who don't know your coin's size.

LIGHT IT UP. Use as much ambient light as possible to reduce shadows...two light sources are a minimum. Ambient light is usually more effective than flash which produces flares. Eliminate yellowed images caused by tungsten filament bulbs by switching to the new compact flourescent bulbs. CFLs come in a "daylight" (6500K) version that you can use in any (non-dimming) fixture and produce very little heat. Some LEDs produce a near-daylight effect.

ELIMINATE SHADOWS by elevating the bottle on a glass or colorless plastic stage a couple of inches above the background. Illuminate the bottle AND THE BACKGROUND in this configuration. There are numerous things around the house to use for this purpose, from scrap window-glass to disposable plastic food/drink containers.

BRIGHTEN AND CONTRAST. BRIGHTEN the image in the imaging software until the bottle appears slightly washed, then adjust the CONTRAST until the bottle is bright and sharp and is a good color-match. Contrast can be usefull in making embossing legible. Practice this until you get a feel for it.

CROP, CROP, CROP. Again, use the image-editing software to crop the image to only what is pertinent. Leave only a narrow margin around the bottle. The more of your kitchen counter-top in the image, the smaller the bottle image will be.

REDUCE THE FILE SIZE. You can constrain the proportions of your image to produce exactly the size that works best (I routinely use 700 Kb - 1.0 Mb for my images now). I save in JPEG format.

View attachment 242500View attachment 242510View attachment 242507View attachment 242508View attachment 242515View attachment 242516
Harry,
Excellent descriptions and examples.
I, and I'm sure some others, have learned a few things about bottle photography from you here today. I only take pictures with my phone and will never be able to match yours but a lot of the basic techniques I believe are similar and I will be using some of them in the near future. Thank you. Roy

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Trial and error--the father of learning and future practice. (For most. ;) )
I've been at it for about 3 weeks.
Giddy Up!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20221217_170830_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221217_170830_HDR.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 87

web

Reaction score
Check out the "Photo Light Box Portable Folding Photography Tent Kit with 12 Colors Backdrops " on eBay with adjustable LED lighting for about $30. Attached is a photo I shot using the box with my phone. Also like using natural light through a window

Attachments

• IMG_6259.jpg
    IMG_6259.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6356.jpg
    IMG_6356.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 89

Roy

Reaction score
Check out the "Photo Light Box Portable Folding Photography Tent Kit with 12 Colors Backdrops " on eBay with adjustable LED lighting for about $30. Attached is a photo I shot using the box with my phone. Also like using natural light through a window
Hi web,
The colored bottles take a really good picture in the light box. I seem to have a hard time with the clear bottles and some of the aqua ones. They come out better for me in natural light .
Great color on that flask.
Roy

Oldsdigger

Reaction score
Hi Sewingmom, If you are able to photograph the embossed bottles backlit as said above that works the best. But the trick I found was under lighting it. I just set up a pair of 2x4's with a Harbor Freight led light underneath and a piece of Plexiglas above the light. This worked well. I recently changed it up and started using black foam core with an inch and a half hole drilled through it. This is the result in the second picture. But keep the plexiglass under the foam core as added support. You can soften the light by placing a piece of white paper between the plexiglass and foam core.

Attachments

• I-002-2.jpg
    I-002-2.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Carter's 7-up green 5.jpg
    Carter's 7-up green 5.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220826_142246.jpg
    20220826_142246.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 72

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Hi Sewingmom, If you are able to photograph the embossed bottles backlit as said above that works the best. But the trick I found was under lighting it. I just set up a pair of 2x4's with a Harbor Freight led light underneath and a piece of Plexiglas above the light. This worked well. I recently changed it up and started using black foam core with an inch and a half hole drilled through it. This is the result in the second picture. But keep the plexiglass under the foam core as added support. You can soften the light by placing a piece of white paper between the plexiglass and foam core.
Outstanding photo.
GIDDY Up!!!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi