Temperance Beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GRACE ABOUND

BIRD SWING
Reaction score
Somebody here in Calgary has found a stash of these Golden West Brewing labels and they are bleeding them out slowly. They show up at shows, malls, etc. as stand alones and pasted onto bottles onto which the label don't belong. However, yours maybe legit, as it wasn't uncommon for breweries to use any and all types of beer bottles they could get ahold of during times of peak sales (summer, season holiday times, etc.), regardless of whether or not they had their own embossed bottles. After the big flood of 2013, I checked out the Bow River banks south of the old part of the city. Clearly the flooded river had gouged out the bottle dump of the Calgary Brewing and Malting Co., further upstream. I must have found several hundred broken Calgary B & M bottle bottoms (nothing survived the thrashing of the flood waters). Among all these shards were hundreds of bottoms to other brewery bottles from other parts of Canada, the Northern States, Ireland and Great Britain. My best guess is that your bottle fits this use pattern. Then again . . .
[/QUOTE ]Golden West Brewing Co Operates Out Of West Coast Of Austrail;ia. The Old Co. WAS An Old Co. Said to be 150 years Coke Bought them Out And Closed Down IN The 1970's It Is Now Opened Up With A Group Of Young Men .You Can Read All About it On Google .For All Information And You Can Also Order 6/622 Newcastle St. Leederville 6007 AUSTRAILIA. check address with the one on google .

Last edited:

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
Don't know if it's helpful but I used to collect a bit of beer stuff from Calgary back in the 80s. Recall that there seemed to be a fair supply of new old stock labels for Golden West around back then. Faking labels back then was a lot harder as not every joe with a camera and a printer could do it.

I also note that in George Choppings's "Bottles of the Canadian Prairies" (1978), he pictures that label on a very similar bottle. Maybe indicative of what they used for that beer, or the book served as inspiration for the individual who stuck the label on. I've included a photo of the bottle for reference.

Golden West had some beautiful labels. The brewery was bought by Calgary Brewing and Malting Company about 1910 and ran for a number of years. They made beautiful labels. Took a look around and I actually still have one from back then. Through a pic in of it for reference.
My bottle does seem to resemble the one in the photo. Did the book give you any information on that particular bottle?

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
Somebody here in Calgary has found a stash of these Golden West Brewing labels and they are bleeding them out slowly. They show up at shows, malls, etc. as stand alones and pasted onto bottles onto which the label don't belong. However, yours maybe legit, as it wasn't uncommon for breweries to use any and all types of beer bottles they could get ahold of during times of peak sales (summer, season holiday times, etc.), regardless of whether or not they had their own embossed bottles. After the big flood of 2013, I checked out the Bow River banks south of the old part of the city. Clearly the flooded river had gouged out the bottle dump of the Calgary Brewing and Malting Co., further upstream. I must have found several hundred broken Calgary B & M bottle bottoms (nothing survived the thrashing of the flood waters). Among all these shards were hundreds of bottoms to other brewery bottles from other parts of Canada, the Northern States, Ireland and Great Britain. My best guess is that your bottle fits this use pattern. Then again . . .
Thank you for the information. It seems I just won't know if the piece is original or not.

Crushy

Reaction score
My bottle does seem to resemble the one in the photo. Did the book give you any information on that particular bottle?
Very little. Just the reference # that he created, and that the bottle was 23.5 cm x 6.7 cm, greem 341 ml and has a "2" on the base. In price guide supplement, he assigned a value of $5 to the bottle - which, by comparison to others in the guide, would suggest it was pretty common or undesirable at that time.

Crushy

Reaction score
Very little. Just the reference # that he created, and that the bottle was 23.5 cm x 6.7 cm, greem 341 ml and has a "2" on the base. In price guide supplement, he assigned a value of $5 to the bottle - which, by comparison to others in the guide, would suggest it was pretty common or undesirable at that time.
that should be "green"

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi