The CaliKid's latest desert adventures

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I wonder if it would be possible to hunt for old bottles, meteorites, and gold all at the same time?

Never limit yourself to one target. I would be on the lookout for any treasures that exist there... bottles, meteorites, petrified wood, minerals, fossils, indian artifacts, antique barbed wire, etc etc. UFO parts maybe[;)]

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

I wonder if it would be possible to hunt for old bottles, meteorites, and gold all at the same time?

Never limit yourself to one target. I would be on the lookout for any treasures that exist there... bottles, meteorites, petrified wood, minerals, fossils, indian artifacts, antique barbed wire, etc etc. UFO parts maybe[;)]

Oh yes, I know.

I am always on the lookout for anything and everything. In fact, I found an extremely nice piece of petrified wood out there. I'll try to get a picture of it if I find some extra time here.

With my post that you quoted, I was more thinking along the lines of hauling around a metal detector too. For the gold. I'd hate to be hampered down like that tho.

madman

Reaction score
killer pix and finds! amazing area to hunt!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Kid,

Thanks for the great photo illustrated desert excursion. I love California deserts, high and low. You do take some wonderful landscapes, sir.

I'm gonna argue with you about this:

In California, finding a complete soda bottle out in the open like this is extremely rare! Any bottle that had colored glass (such as green, blue, or purple, etc.) was picked up or shot up long ago.

While most of my bottle hunting has been Nor-Cal, I've found sodas just waiting for me from Joshua Tree to Borrego Springs, nothing noteworthy, alas. I've dug 19th century stuff feet from I-80, and I love 395!

When and where you headed next?

ca_before_the_white_man_came-palm_canon.jpg

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
What an awesome post Bob.............thanks for taking us along on your adventure.....great pictures!
The town of Darwin is very cool indeed. The mysterious strangers appearing sound like the horror film. "The Hills have Eyes" I would have been a little spooked by them.

I once spent a day rock climbing with friends in Joshua Tree and regretted that we didn't camp the night there. The desert really has a magical/mystical element to it.

I thought about meteorites as well in one of the pictures

Thanks for sharing the trip!
Doug

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Thanks Bob, for the great sharing of your adventure... The note in the tin is pretty cool...Also I really like this pic,..I used to have a truck just like the one on the right...(Wish I still had it!)

32ADB67695034899B6C295FCF675755F.jpg

Attachments

• 32ADB67695034899B6C295FCF675755F.jpg
    32ADB67695034899B6C295FCF675755F.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 84

sem_yeto

Reaction score
Cool narrative and pics !

I've dug in the town of Darwin a few times back in the mid 1990's. It IS a creepy place ! I knew a guy that bought an abandoned house there and fixed it up as a second home, or cabin, if you will. There was a bearded guy there then too , that would stare us down when we roamed the town. Could be the same dude?? Also, there are quite a few ex San Francisco types there living. They were cool and let us dig. My friend is an electrician and was fixing shit there for people, so he got in good w many of the locals. Some people there are literally living in underground bunkers ! Dogs running loose all over the place too. The locals hate "tourists" and outsiders. I'd guess there are a good number of people w warrants hiding out in that place too. The soil is harder than hard, and lots of rattle snakes there too. We dug in a gully and only found a few bottles. We saw signs of early diggin from the 1970s bottle diggers . Most of the older bottles are probably still there, but deep under the hard cap, and probing is out of the question there. Dry, hard and rocky. Need a D8 and take the whole place down 4 feet !

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: madman

killer pix and finds! amazing area to hunt!

Thank you madman!

ORIGINAL: madman

love the screw top tonsiline

Yes, my wife bought that in Randsburg last year. I'll have to get some better pictures of it for you. The glass of that bottle has that cool "rainbow effect" when you hold it in the sun.

I don't know how to date that kind of bottle, maybe you can help me?

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Dabeel

What an awesome post Bob.............thanks for taking us along on your adventure.....great pictures!
The town of Darwin is very cool indeed. The mysterious strangers appearing sound like the horror film. "The Hills have Eyes" I would have been a little spooked by them.

I once spent a day rock climbing with friends in Joshua Tree and regretted that we didn't camp the night there. The desert really has a magical/mystical element to it.

I thought about meteorites as well in one of the pictures

Thanks for sharing the trip!
Doug

You are quite welcome Doug!

Desert camping is the best......its just so clean, what with all the decomposed granite. I love the crunching sound you get when you walk around.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac