The dangers of digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

planeguy2

Reaction score
Dumps are full of lots of nasties. Sharp pieces of metal and glass can really mess you up. I was digging around and stepped on a board with a rusty nail in it. It hurt like crazy but I have a tetanus shot.
20200513_161208.jpg

woods_walker

Reaction score
Dumps are full of lots of nasties. Sharp pieces of metal and glass can really mess you up. I was digging around and stepped on a board with a rusty nail in it. It hurt like crazy but I have a tetanus shot.View attachment 207082

Get better soon buddy, I did this once as a kid and I have never forgotten it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LalaGirl

Reaction score
Ouch! So sorry that happened to you.
I have to tell you that when I first saw the title of your post, I immediately thought of something I've been pondering for a few days in light of the recent events: is there any possibility of contracting a disease from these old bottles? You know, they say that viruses and bacteria can live for a very time and then be unearthed, even from medieval (and even earlier) sites! Couldn't something like Spanish Flu still be in these bottles and cans?

planeguy2

Reaction score
I wonder if you are right. Read the top two paragraphs of the second column of this paper.
Screenshot_20200513-215121_Gallery.jpg

LalaGirl

Reaction score
Hmmmmm. I guess now we need to make a choice whether to risk it or not. Has anyone out there heard of anyone getting a strange disease after digging?

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Dumps are full of lots of nasties. Sharp pieces of metal and glass can really mess you up. I was digging around and stepped on a board with a rusty nail in it. It hurt like crazy but I have a tetanus shot.View attachment 207082
I feel for you buddy. I work in constrution and have stepped on a couple boards with nails in them. It hurts like hell! I usually can't walk right for days. Glad to hear you got your tetanus shot. Doesn't make it hurt any less though. ROBBYBOBBY64

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Ouch! So sorry that happened to you.
I have to tell you that when I first saw the title of your post, I immediately thought of something I've been pondering for a few days in light of the recent events: is there any possibility of contracting a disease from these old bottles? You know, they say that viruses and bacteria can live for a very time and then be unearthed, even from medieval (and even earlier) sites! Couldn't something like Spanish Flu still be in these bottles and cans?
My son was stripping antique furniture in an old barn for grand pa in upper pennsylvania. He got scarlet fever. When was the last time you heard of anyone contracting that disease? Crazy right, it must have been sitting under the varnish for over 100 years just waiting. Patient little buggers huh?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18