The dangers of digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
That's wild, Robby. I dug a well that was uncovered when we put in a pool. We live in the old part of town that was wiped out by smallpox in 1862. The top 7 feet was ash and brick and everything at the bottom of the 15 foot well pre-dated 1860, which tells me that the house on my lot was burned like so many then. The lot was cleaned off and dumped in the well. I couldn't help but wonder if dormant smallpox virus lay in that well as I dug it. But, I dug it anyway!

On another note, anybody notice that nobody on Oak Island ever wears gloves? That's just asking for it, in my opinion, because like most of you, I learned early on that if you dig, you're gonna get cut sooner or later.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
That's wild, Robby. I dug a well that was uncovered when we put in a pool. We live in the old part of town that was wiped out by smallpox in 1862. The top 7 feet was ash and brick and everything at the bottom of the 15 foot well pre-dated 1860, which tells me that the house on my lot was burned like so many then. The lot was cleaned off and dumped in the well. I couldn't help but wonder if dormant smallpox virus lay in that well as I dug it. But, I dug it anyway!

On another note, anybody notice that nobody on Oak Island ever wears gloves? That's just asking for it, in my opinion, because like most of you, I learned early on that if you dig, you're gonna get cut sooner or later.
I have been using kevlar gloves. They look like those cheap dot gloves. They are not. The kevlar is yellow. The dots are on both sides and can be used on both sides. They dry out much faster than cotton gloves. They are hard to cut with a razorblade. I think they are for sheetrockers if i am not mistaken.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Timelypicken

Reaction score
I have been using kevlar gloves. They look like those cheap dot gloves. They are not. The kevlar is yellow. The dots are on both sides and can be used on both sides. They dry out much faster than cotton gloves. They are hard to cut with a razorblade. I think they are for sheetrockers if i am not mistaken.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Are these the gloves you use.

Attachments

• B93CCEAA-B7DD-4739-9356-61FC0634317B.png
    B93CCEAA-B7DD-4739-9356-61FC0634317B.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 365

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Are these the gloves you use.
Exactly. Mine are like 10 years old and have one hole in the pointer finger. I flipped the gloves. Left now on the right and of course right on the left hand. I used upholstery / carpet thread to mend the hole. I think they will go another 10 years. I dont know what the dots are made of but they are wear like a pigs nose.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

American

Reaction score
Dumps are full of lots of nasties. Sharp pieces of metal and glass can really mess you up. I was digging around and stepped on a board with a rusty nail in it. It hurt like crazy but I have a tetanus shot.View attachment 207082
A lot of glass housed made window glass as well as bottles. If you get in to one of those glass house dumps like I did in Medford NJ (Star Glass Works) WATCH OUT!

Oldsdigger

Reaction score
I feel for you buddy. I work in constrution and have stepped on a couple boards with nails in them. It hurts like hell! I usually can't walk right for days. Glad to hear you got your tetanus shot. Doesn't make it hurt any less though. ROBBYBOBBY64
Yup nothing like a #6 - #8 finishing nail or #6 or #10 common nail to ventilate your foot and shoe !

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu