The GI-26 Washington Eagle Reproduction.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I picked up this original GI-26 quart sized flask recently and will show it compared to the Clevenger mold of the same flask.
Here is another of the Clevenger remakes of one of the most detailed motifs ever seen on an American historical flask.
The original 1830 to 1835 GI-26 Washington Eagle quart sized flask has strong very 3 dimensional relief on each side of the flask.
The Clevenger remake is a good copy but as usual there are enough clues to tell that their version is what it is supposed to be
a remake of the original and nothing more.I do not have a copy of the Clevenger version of the bottle but I found a picture of the
mold that made this bottle and I can point out a couple of areas on the mold that are a dead giveaway as to it being the Cleveger
made version.

The necks on all of the Clevenger copies always have a very straight stove pipe look to them,where on the originals the necks kind
of blend in to the body on the bottle in a nice flared fashion.The Clevenger version like I had stated earlier has a good design cut into
each side of the bottle and very closely resembles the original but lacks the depth in the relief seen on the original Bridgeton
New Jersey made ones. The last area I can show you the difference between the two bottles is a view of the bottom.On the original
versions the the two sides of the mold are not even as the middle medial ribbed area on the lower right hand side of the Eagle is
wider where it meets the Washington side of the bottle I will explain in detailed pictures these differences between the original and the
reproductions.

6EF63F9D8FA042619A37F15A941F0D9F.jpg

Attachments

• 6EF63F9D8FA042619A37F15A941F0D9F.jpg
    6EF63F9D8FA042619A37F15A941F0D9F.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 127

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
The mold impression is much more three dimensional on the original flask.

DFF44D84F2BE4749A82BDA6E581209E6.jpg

Attachments

• DFF44D84F2BE4749A82BDA6E581209E6.jpg
    DFF44D84F2BE4749A82BDA6E581209E6.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 118

Jerseyana

Reaction score
This bottle is not a Clevenger reproduction. I suspect it is a bottle made at L. E. Smith in western Pennsylvania, or another midwestern glasshouse in the Ohio, West Virginia, Indiana area.

Look for my book on Clevenger Brothers in the very near future. 438 pages and over 800 photos/illustrations.

heritageglass

Reaction score
Steve

Clevenger never made a GI-26 Washington Eagle Reproduction. It does not appear in any of their catalogs nor is in mentioned in Tom Haunton's soon to published book on the Clevenger Brothers. Several years ago I was involved in an inventory of all the Clevenger molds - this was not one of them. This is likely a repro made by a Western PA/Ohio area glassworks

Rick Grenda
President - Heritage Glass Museum - Glassboro, NJ
www.heritageglassmuseum.com

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Good info gentleman this forum is a good place to share this information free of charge.I hate when people spend hard earned money on poorly done imitations let alone good ones.I wish the Clevengers and their counterparts would have concentraited more on their own creations then the constant attempts at forgery.All of these 1900s based glass blowers were talented people,I just wish the majority of their work was their own.

frogzi

Reaction score
Good evening folks! Please forgive my jumping in the middle of your conversation as I'm only a newbie here. And I'm sorry to revive an older thread but I just ran across this last night. My interest lies in the fact that the mould pictures Steve posted in this thread are from my "itty bitty corner of the internet" website. (frogzpond.net/foundry)

We put them online in hopes of finding some help in identifying who made them and who was intending to use them. We came across them at a barn sale in southeast Pa. a few years back and have been researching them ever since. I'm thrilled you noticed them Steve, but I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get a litttle heads up that you saw them (the images) and wanted to use them elsewhere. Especially in that you thought they might be from the Clevengers as that is one of possibilities we've considered but we just don't have the "glass knowledge" to discern if they were.

I am very glad that they are being talked about and we would be very grateful for any leads and
ideas for identifying these molds. It is a "mystery of history" that we would very much like to solve and even if we don't, our glass research has been fascinating!

Dee

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Hi Dee, Sorry for using the pictures, was pointed to your site through a glass search of the GI-26 mould.I ended up on the mould page not the main site I did not see your email address which is at the bottom of your main page.Your mould sure looks like a Clevenger made Mold and that it what I assumed.The other two members who offered their opinons are light years ahead of my knowledge in as far as reproductions go.It sounds like you may have found some other places to search for your information Western Pa. Ohio Indiana ect.

frogzi

Reaction score
No harm no foul Steve...and thanks for the added info. Every little bit helps!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp