The good ones were busted!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Oh? Do you have any guess as to what brand? I nearly stepped on it before I saw it in the ground and grasses/leaves.

hemihampton

Reaction score
NO Clue, could be one out of hundreds of different ones that once had a paper label. LEON.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
It has a more unique style and embossed design. I had hoped that'd help. But, as I don't intend to keep it, it won't really matter much I guess. Thanks anyway, though!

bottlerocket

Reaction score
Ben, you have to find old homesites. Other areas are small creeks flowing downhill toward larger rivers or bodies of water. For some reason, people liked to throw glass and bottles into creeks to wash down stream. 3 of the dumps I go to are like this. Old GIS maps or even talking to the old-timers of the area. Old farms are also good because there are always trash piles buried.
Be sure you are up on your tetanus shots though.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Ben, go to houses made before the 1960s and are set back in the woods--dirt roads especially! Or, if you like to hike, old camp sites and just in the woods off roads tend to have them occasionally. As for what you'll find, click here to see the only dump I've dug--1950s and 1960s. Might I warn you, I have bug bites from failed bug-spray that are still oozing. These are scattered and mostly surface finds in this thread. The other turned up numerous items. In the Lake I have turned up better finds--my best finds. Bodies of water often hold bottles if they were used long ago. Check out here and see the wonders RCO has turned up! Or, if you can find an established digging partner to get you started and teach you, click here to see a best-case scenario of finds. For what you turn up on the surface often, here is a bit of sad truth to a page--just below the surface bottles often are intact, or in shards. Keep your eyes open,scanning. They'll learn to identify and find bottles eventually! Eventually you'll get so good you'll know whether it's old or not just by looking without picking it up! I'm still new. This is not the most rewarding hobby, nor is it the easiest. But it is fun and healthful. If you are unable to find any, click here for a thrift-shop find of mine, or here is my best trip to an antique store ever.

BenTheDigger

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I looked in some local history books and one of the oldest house's in Fairfax was built in 1868 on 10 olema road. If you look this up on Google maps on earth mode you will see this place to be totally demolished and it looks to be private property. Should I check this out? If I do what would I search for, Privies? On the digging partner side I have no idea where to find one.Thanks,-Ben

RES1CUE

Reaction score
I think Muskegon was bought by Grand Rapids before the war, I've seen and had pre war bottles that were brewed in Muskegon by the Grand Rapids brewing company, if my memory is correct. Leon would know, he has 100s of labeled Michigan bottles :D

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
sunrunner said:
brown brandy bottle christen bros . 1940s.
So then the 48 was the date code, not the 64. Thanks so much!

Ben, obtain permission if it says No Trespassing, or Do Not Enter, or even Posted. Of course, I just trespassed on a T.O.C. (Turn Of the Century) house's land--the house is unoccupied, and borders the airport, and no signs say Keep Out-- this morning[:D], and looked for any bottles--I found one piece to an older one; there is not much to find on the land, but it is quite obvious the house has stuff in it. I just won't do breaking and entering. Otherwise, I know the perfect condemned and seemingly abandoned house with vintage/antique stuff in it to go into. The house is off it's foundation and at an angle. I peaked through the holes in the foundation, saw that there was a basement--keyword is "was" as it is... demolished by some accident like settling or what not... There's a claw-foot tub in the bathroom, shown to me by a nicely place hole through the wall.

Res1cue, I am pretty sure Muskegon survived into the early 1940s. As the war started in 1938 or '39, I think it might have had a little to do with its downfall. But! my former teacher's son has bought the rights to begin operation once again with Muskegon Brewery. Either way, I have both Grand Rapids and Muskegon Brewing Company bottles for my collection--Grand Rapids has a place where you can bring them to show them off. They like to see their history returning to them, even if only for a moment. I found this whilst researching my bottle I pulled out of the Muskegon River during the Clean up. Click here if you didn't read my thread and are interested in seeing it. I'd like to find more beers and such like these, but never can find one intact.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky