The Green Torpedos of the Pines! What the heck are they?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

EdsFinds

Reaction score
I found some old fiberglass tanks half-buried in an old clay pit in the pine barrens of South Jersey (where all the weird stuff is or happens)! These cylindrical fiberglass tubes are located in an old clay pit that was used by a brick manufacturing plant from the 1930s to the 1950s. These tubes are NOT from the time period, since they did not use fiberglass back then. My question is, of course, what were they used for, and why would someone half-burry them in an out-of-the-way location in the woods? There are several of these "stacked" around the area and have been purposely "half-buried" in clay. The area is not easily accessible by truck or vehicle, only by foot or four-wheelers and dirt bikes today. I'd love to hear others' opinions as to what these were for and WHY anyone would go through the trouble of hauling them out into the woods!

Attachments

• IMG_20211004_165131.jpg
    IMG_20211004_165131.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20211004_165141.jpg
    IMG_20211004_165141.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20211004_165155.jpg
    IMG_20211004_165155.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86

Old man digger

Reaction score
I found some old fiberglass tanks half-buried in an old clay pit in the pine barrens of South Jersey (where all the weird stuff is or happens)! These cylindrical fiberglass tubes are located in an old clay pit that was used by a brick manufacturing plant from the 1930s to the 1950s. These tubes are NOT from the time period, since they did not use fiberglass back then. My question is, of course, what were they used for, and why would someone half-burry them in an out-of-the-way location in the woods? There are several of these "stacked" around the area and have been purposely "half-buried" in clay. The area is not easily accessible by truck or vehicle, only by foot or four-wheelers and dirt bikes today. I'd love to hear others' opinions as to what these were for and WHY anyone would go through the trouble of hauling them out into the woods!
How close are you to a military installation ?

willong

Reaction score
I "think" they might be brine tanks such as are used in water softener systems.

As to the peculiar disposal method? I've no idea off the top of my head other than some quick and dirty dumping to avoid landfill fees. I worked ten years at Fort Lewis, WA. Much of the time was spent in, or crossing through, the wooded training areas. I've seen plenty of example of just how inconsiderate and nasty people can be to avoid a few dollars and perhaps a little longer drive. Might there be a water softener service company--remember the old "Hey Culligan man!" advertisements--in the region? I'm sure the tanks--fiberglass to resist the brine--eventually crack or break with long service that probably includes frequent transport and connecting and disconnecting.

Last edited:

EdsFinds

Reaction score
There is no military installation nearby as far as I know, but there is the Pomona (Atlantic City) International Airport and the NAFAC airstrip located in Pomona NJ. But don't think there is no connection. That's what they must've been....water softening tanks! But why anyone would choose to get rid of them here is anyone's guess! Stranger things have happened in the pines though...

Old man digger

Reaction score
I grew up in Jersey till I went into the military. So I do know about weird stuff in that state. Quite a few family members remain there. Toms River, Point Pleasant, Bricktown and so on. I fell in love with Pa. when I got PCS'ed to the Army War College in Carlisle Pa. and never looked back. I do have to admit digging in Jersey soil is a whole lot easier than the rocks and clay and shale here in Pa.
I have a water system that has one of those tanks as part of the system, so I think your opinion is spot on...!!!

EdsFinds

Reaction score
thanks! yes, that seems to be the consensus...water softener tanks...hopefully nothing more sinister.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown