The HOLE Robbers!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Apologies if that was getting a bit out-there, but I think a solid philosophical foundation is an important starting-point. To clarify, I'd suggest a well-reasoned diplomatic approach if you come across this person in the act but if they don't shape-up then you wouldn't exactly be wrong to defend your interests, though the law probably wouldn't see it the same way. I tend to be very easygoing and pleasant (vinegar vs honey and all that) and am able to diffuse most tense situations without much difficulty, but have been known to punch a guy out when they cross the line (i.e. gloating about stealing my property). If you don't stand up for yourself then someone else will walk all over you, but don't start-out by letting your irrational "feelings" rather than level-headed logic take control or situations will likely get out of hand. The whole "turn the other cheek" approach might appeal to delusional hippies, but that is exactly what the greedy exploiters and sociopaths in this world are counting on, and letting them get away with their transgressions will only encourage them to do the same damage to other innocent folk.

2find4me

Reaction score
I am sure you got permission to dig there, whether it is your property or not. If it is public property then it could happen easily, but if it is on private property that is another problem. If it is way back in the woods and someone else found your hole, they must have been stalking you. [;)] If you are sure you know who the guy is I would confront him and ask him to go on a dig with you and then bury him in the hole! [:D] Honestly though, I think asking him to dig with you and showing him the proper way might get him to quit destroying your stuff.

BobbyCommonBottles

Reaction score
Admin said:
BobbyCommonBottles said:
If there is concern over money on this forum, there should just be an initial sign up fee.

How much would you be prepared to pay?
I think if there was an initial fee, members would easily pay it. Or even have different perks for people who donate certain amounts? As soon as I make some good sales I will gladly donate a little no problem. PLUMBATA well said my friend. There are maybe 6 people I know of that go to this dump, and 2 of them I dig with...so it could be 1 of the other 4 people. I also see things that are left behind which also narrows down who it could be (food wrappers and gloves.) I actually have spoken with the person who owns the property and got permission.....unlike the others who just dig there. A few weeks ago when I was there I had a really big spot opened up that took me maybe 15 hours of straight digging upon 3 different occasions. I had left the spot wide open so the next time I went there it would be nice and clean for me......and upon returning it was completely I mean COMPLETELY caved in...didn't even look like a hole anymore. I was very angry that day along with all the bugs swarming me and the hot weather it was a miserable time. I have now learned to cave in the spot before I leave and knock down the surrounding walls to make the hole bigger for next time I dig. The other 2 guys I dig with are wondering who it is as well....and one of them is very old.....the look on his face when he saw his hole caved in was sad....I could imagine how tiring it is for him to dig and we are all just there to enjoy our hobby. If I do catch the person, I will firmly explain to them it's not the right thing to do and tell them to go to another spot, if they have a problem with it, then I will handle the situation with violence as a last resort, but not completely eliminating it as a possibility. after all the dump is big enough for all of us to dig our own spots. I just don't see why the cherry picker couldn't have just dug down where the bottles are as opposed to knocking all of the overburden down in the hole.

ctbottledigger

Reaction score
I have been digging for 30+ years had my holes caved in plenty of times. sometimes it's from rain sometimes from animals sometimes from people walking to close to an undercut and yes sometimes other folks have jumped in. Pretty simple if you are on private property and you have permission by all means catch the fool and have a talk, if your not in private land and it is open top all then it is fair game. I have showed up to dig a hole i started and found someone in it, most times if you know them they will move out for you but if not pretty simple just dig another hole.I have been threatened a few times by people that think they own everything that's why i carry my 45 ACP whenver i go out. Life is too short to deal with @sses stay peacefull and move on.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Reminds me of the time I was digging in my hole by the River. Pretty secluded & has a trail that runs along the river. I see someone comeing down the trail my way. I get out of my hole & head to my car parked at dead end street. Figured I'd wait for intruder to pass by instead of having to explain what I'm doing in my big hole, Sick of nosy people thinking I'm buring a dead body & having the cops come up on me with guns drawn. Easier to avoid the Interrogation. WELL, A couple minutes go by & I don't see him. Another couple of minutes & still no passerby intruder? I say where the Hell did he go, Should of passed by here a few minutes ago. I get out of my car & walk down the trail curious to see where he disappeared. Then I find him in my hole with shovel digging. Actually it was my digging partner Toms hole & mine was next to it or actually in the river bank or side. I say HEY, Whats up, He sez just digging some old bottles. I say thats my Buddies Tom hole your in & he's suppose to meet me up here in a few minutes. He won't be to happy to find you in his hole, He says Oh, Sorry did not know. I say well I can't tell you what to do, you can do what you want, Then he cops a attitude saying stuff like, well you guys don't own this property & I can dig here if I want. I say do what ever you want but my buddy Tom might not like it. Then he starts saying stuff like you guys are making a mess, I should call the cops on you or I bet the EPA would not be happy with this mess. Then he leaves. I call Tom & tell him we may have complications. Next time we dig there 2 cops ambush us from behind with guns drawn on us. Long story, but me & Tom figured the Canoeist that just paddled by called the cops or maybe it was the Hole Interceptor? LEON.

Attachments

• f7b1a8b0e616425288d42b008b33786d.jpg
    f7b1a8b0e616425288d42b008b33786d.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 86

splante

Reaction score
Have not been on this site much lately,use to be on daily,sure has changed a lot and is why I have been away I guess. People need to grow up,your surprised an administrator(cowseatmaze.)disagree s with you,I am surprised they didn't delete your post. Leaving an open hole is not cool....anywhere

BobbyCommonBottles

Reaction score
splante said:
Have not been on this site much lately,use to be on daily,sure has changed a lot and is why I have been away I guess. People need to grow up,your surprised an administrator(cowseatmaze.)disagree s with you,I am surprised they didn't delete your post. Leaving an open hole is not cool....anywhere
1.) Yes I am surprised an administrator disagrees with me...did get that your panties in a bunch?2.) There are about 20 open holes in this dump because it is on private property where people don't ever walk on....except for diggers. The point of filling in a hole would primarily be for the safety of others. This doesn't apply here. I suggest you take your bologna filled opinion elsewhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp