The Isabella Glass Works

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Very interesting info, plus great bottles! Thank you Steve.
m6.gif

potstone

Reaction score
Good job Steve, great information. Have you or any body you
know searched the glass house site looking for shards of glass that
may show types and colors made there? Or is it private land with
no trespassing signs in place? Your aerial map shows what looks
to be open fields and woods.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Great info and bottles. I am so happy to have the Jenny Lind you gave me for Christmas! It's really neat to see pictures of others.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Hi laur your bottle has a lot of early glass history about it.
Samuel Huffsey lived a long time and worked in over twenty glass works in his lifetime.

sandchip

Reaction score
So the factory site is under the expressway. Just great.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Yes sandchip the works were phyisically located under the west bound lanes of the AC expressway.Some digging on the site
during the widening of the expressway did yield quite a bit of cullet.I doubt one today could dig near there because I am sure the state owns the
right of way at least a 1oo or more feet off the road.

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

The Historical Society of Winslow Township has precious little information about the glassworks that were located here (and nearby). We know a little about the Winslow Glassworks and the Williamstown glassworks (thank to the South Jersey Magazine series authored by my uncle H. Keith Bodine) but embarassing little about the rest. Of specific interest getting started in the information gathering process would be a listing with accurate information about their locations, ownership, when the went into and out of blast, products produced,. We do have the Heximer survey info for Window, Wilton and Williamstown but little else.

Spotting your January 23, 2010 post clearly identified you as someone who might guide us to sources of information from which start compiling a collection of information and perhaps some artifacts. I also have some specific questions regarding your 2010 Isabelal post:
  • About the beginning of Isabella, you wrote, "By 1850 Thomas Stanger began building a new glass works containing 7 pots about a mile from the Brooklyn Glass Works." Where was the "Brooklyn Glass Works" in relation the Isabella works. Our location info for Isabella is from the map attached.
  • I was unaware that the New Brooklyn Glassworks was actually the renamed the Isabella works. When was it renamed? You write that " the New Brooklyn Glassworks went into blast on September 9, 1850." Was it Isabell when it went into blast, or New Brooklyn?
We have some script from ether the Brooklyn or New Brooklyn Glassworks among our artifacts. Did they both have company stores? If only one had a store, I guess we can assume that that is the one who issued the script ..... or was script redeemable in other places? As you can tell, we are really ignorant about our own glass history.

Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Jack Jennings, President
Historical Society of Winslow Township
124 Pump Branch Road
Waterford Works, NJ 08089
HistoricalSocietyOfWinslowTwp@comcast.net
609-458-2293

Attachments

• Isabella Glassworks on Map.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 221

sandchip

Reaction score
Jack, I'm not sure if Steve monitors this site anymore or not. I haven't seen him post anything in a while. Best of luck in your research.

Reaction score
Thanks for info. As a "newbie", I didn't know he has not been active. I found this post in another forum where he was recommended. I'll check back there to see if anyone knows his present situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora