The Joy of The Hunts...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
( Admins: If this post is incorrectly placed in this category, please move it to the correct area, with apologies...)

"Hunts" being, of course, the find itself, then the hunting down of information relating to your find - a joyful experience!

So there I was, diligently scanning the bottom terrain for evidence of long lost treasures. I had been over this particular area many times in the past, but experience has taught me that changing currents, available light and the simple act of looking in the right direction at the right time, might reveal a prize.

So it was that day, a few weeks past, that my dive light revealed a small patch of shine in the sand, mostly obscured by the presence of a large, old log. With significant effort I managed to move the log aside enough to allow me to fan away the sand; I quickly realized I had discovered a deeply buried crock! My fanning efforts increased as I worked to reveal the treasure. I soon realized the handle was missing ( likely why it was consigned to the deeps! ), but best of all - there was imbossing!

My research not only found a picture of the proprietor of the store where this crock was sold, but a picture of his store as well, with him ( possibly ) standing in the doorway of his shop!

Hunting history is so-much-fun!

I had the handle replaced by a very talented fellow who has worked his magic on several of my finds.

( Images 7396 / 7397 credit: "A Good Town Grew Here - The Story of Bracebridge", by Robert J. Boyer, second edition )

Attachments

• IMG_7398.jpg
    IMG_7398.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7399 (1).jpg
    IMG_7399 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_7396.JPG
    IMG_7396.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7397.jpg
    IMG_7397.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 98

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
WOO-HOO! That's what i would be yelling. Your friend fixed the handle. Wow he did a really good job. Does anyone else find themselves holding their breath while reading the accounts of DeepSeaDans adventures. Funny right? Great story and pics.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

RCO

Reaction score
( Admins: If this post is incorrectly placed in this category, please move it to the correct area, with apologies...)

"Hunts" being, of course, the find itself, then the hunting down of information relating to your find - a joyful experience!

So there I was, diligently scanning the bottom terrain for evidence of long lost treasures. I had been over this particular area many times in the past, but experience has taught me that changing currents, available light and the simple act of looking in the right direction at the right time, might reveal a prize.

So it was that day, a few weeks past, that my dive light revealed a small patch of shine in the sand, mostly obscured by the presence of a large, old log. With significant effort I managed to move the log aside enough to allow me to fan away the sand; I quickly realized I had discovered a deeply buried crock! My fanning efforts increased as I worked to reveal the treasure. I soon realized the handle was missing ( likely why it was consigned to the deeps! ), but best of all - there was imbossing!

My research not only found a picture of the proprietor of the store where this crock was sold, but a picture of his store as well, with him ( possibly ) standing in the doorway of his shop!

Hunting history is so-much-fun!

I had the handle replaced by a very talented fellow who has worked his magic on several of my finds.

( Images 7396 / 7397 credit: "A Good Town Grew Here - The Story of Bracebridge", by Robert J. Boyer, second edition )

never seen anything like that before , not sure i've heard of Sibbett before either . i do have some books on bracebridge but don't recall him being mentioned

obviously found alot of stuff in the bracebridge area over the years but never found a crock or anything marked as being from G W Sibbett . older bottles marked as being from bracebridge are pretty rare other than milk jugs which are more common

do recall hearing about a crock from muskoka being at the muskoka heritage place museum but its marked as being from Huntsville ( not sure of maker ) although i haven't seen it in person but recall it being mentioned by antique person

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
never seen anything like that before , not sure i've heard of Sibbett before either . i do have some books on bracebridge but don't recall him being mentioned

obviously found alot of stuff in the bracebridge area over the years but never found a crock or anything marked as being from G W Sibbett . older bottles marked as being from bracebridge are pretty rare other than milk jugs which are more common

do recall hearing about a crock from muskoka being at the muskoka heritage place museum but its marked as being from Huntsville ( not sure of maker ) although i haven't seen it in person but recall it being mentioned by antique person
All we've found for bottles embossed with 'Bracebridge' is a small medicine. I have a photo of Manitoba St. from the early 1900's that shows a 'Medical Hall' ( what some drug stores were called in that time ) apothecary business. Surely there are samples of bottles sold in that store to be found. We have found some milks embossed with the town's name. Dugald Brown bottled soda in Gravenhurst and we've located numerous examples of his hutches & quarts, though his gravitator-style bottle still eludes us!

RCO

Reaction score
All we've found for bottles embossed with 'Bracebridge' is a small medicine. I have a photo of Manitoba St. from the early 1900's that shows a 'Medical Hall' ( what some drug stores were called in that time ) apothecary business. Surely there are samples of bottles sold in that store to be found. We have found some milks embossed with the town's name. Dugald Brown bottled soda in Gravenhurst and we've located numerous examples of his hutches & quarts, though his gravitator-style bottle still eludes us!

is that the Dr bridgland druggist from bracebridge , i've found that one before , not sure if there is any others marked bracebridge but could be

all the soda's from south muskoka are pretty much Browns Gravenhurst , never really a bottler in bracebridge

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado