THOUGHT I was cleaning these...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

margclearlake

Reaction score
brushes are hard to find. I like to use a baby bottle brush. has two sizes on it. I too suffer from the cloudiness. when i see sparkling clean bottles i am shamed.

relic rescuer

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I thought I was cleaning my bottles which I hadn't done since I found them 20 years ago or whatever. I've learned a couple things... 1. I didn't consider how ridiculously hard the water is here, and used tap water to soak and rinse them after using Mainline Cleaner to get the gunk out. 2. I need a better bottle brushes.
Which leads me to questions... 1. Can I use CLR or something to get rid of this atrocious calcium buildup I put on these? Is there a better way to get it off? I know I should get some distilled water. I just wasn't thinking. So that for sure... any other suggestions? 2. Did I ruin these?

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP OR DIRECTION. I've already found some very useful advice I should have followed already, here.
I have one like the brown bottle, but it is clear. Do you have any idea what was in them originally?

Kevin S.

Reaction score
I have one like the brown bottle, but it is clear. Do you have any idea what was in them originally?

You know, I'm not sure what they were for. I've generally labeled that kind a medicine. But thinking about it, I really don't know.

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
I actually got a set of baby bottle brushes. :) Thank you! And yeah... I like those rainbow-y purple ones, too.

Brushes…. My problem is finding a brush that will work in those teeny tiny necks but still reach to the bottom of the tall bottle, because I guess that very tall bottles with such tiny necks were a thing then- (they didn’t have to clean them?!) then the shoulders are square so u need something that can bend as well as be strong enough to scrub with, without breaking that teeny tiny neck! Has anyone found anything like that? I am working on a design I thought up- someone should make this: a flexible (more flexible than this in the pix- and maybe have a soft silicone sleeve over the Metal part so you don’t scratch your bottle)-small, say 5-6mm max, over all- in width, yet a couple feet long) with a cylinder shaped extremely strong magnet (n52 neodymium rare earth magnet) on the end, and the magnet could be 1-2” long but no more than 5-6mm thru, as to fit thru that neck? That u could put pieces of steel wool into your dirty bottle and slide your magnet tool too into it too- steel wool will jump on it- you need enough steel wool to just blanket the magnet as to not scratch the glass- and scrub away! You might have to remove the steel wool part at a time, to fit thru the neck, but that would work….
If someone makes that let me know where I can buy one!
98a41d21565d84d156df8b8335fff501.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevin S.

Reaction score
That would be a good idea.

So, since I have in the past brewed rootbeer and stuff, i used to have a long, flexible, bottle brush with bristles going up at least 7 inches, and a braided metal handle. One of the baby bottle ones I just got is similar to that, but super small.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi