Threads on top of cork??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CCB420

Reaction score
So I kinda found this lil dump across the st from the grandmother in laws house, which just had to be replaced after hurricane Laura put a tree through the house she's lived in for 50+ yrs. The hurricane laid over hundreds of huge trees all along the lake bank! This particular bottle is what drew my interest to this spot, as it was in the middle of a big root structure of one of these trees, right about eye level! This wasn't the biggest tree, but definitely no baby, so the bottle had to be there a while for this big of a tree to grow on top. As I looked around, there were probably twenty of these clear whiskey bottles half buried, under the leaves, however this was the only one that had the threads on top of what looks like a cork top! All the others were just cork top?? Any ideas what kind of bottle I'm looking at, or why only this one had a threaded closure on top??

Attachments

• IMG_6194.JPG
    IMG_6194.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6195.JPG
    IMG_6195.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6196.JPG
    IMG_6196.JPG
    360.7 KB · Views: 111

CCB420

Reaction score
All of these plus some came from this one lil area and involved very little digging! In fact the only "digging" I really did happened by accident, trying to get a half buried bottle that was right beside any that were completely buried

Attachments

• IMG_6202.JPG
    IMG_6202.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6204.JPG
    IMG_6204.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 68

UnderMiner

Reaction score
I like the idea of finding bottles in the roots of fallen trees. Bassically guarantees the bottle will be older than the tree so the older the tree the better!

Your bottle was made by Owens Illinois, probably at their Clarion, Pennsylvania plant (based on that number 17, but that also may be a mold number, I forget). The date code is always the two digits on the right of center, so the bottle was made in 1965.

The information on this page should help in the future:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The idea behind that funny-looking top was, I assume, that liquor which comes in a bottle with a stopper or cork is typically higher-end than the ones that come in screw-top bottles, so they wanted to give the impression of it being a cork top bottle while still having the convenience of a screw top. You see this sometimes with older forms being mimicked on newer bottles, there are some crown top sodas which are meant to mimic Codd bottles, for example. Doesn't serve any functional purpose beyond looking fancier if you aren't paying close attention. I suppose there's a possibility too that it was some sort of weird cork/screw top hybrid, but I've never seen anything like that before.

CCB420

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, as always and yea the green was my favorite as well!! Don't think it's duraglass, but not certain.

CCB420

Reaction score
Berry Bros & Rudd Ltd
London, England

Also one in the group pic, which I haven't cleaned up yet and left out of the close up pics is from across the pond:

James Catto
Aberdeen, Scotland

Attachments

• IMG_6233.JPG
    IMG_6233.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6234.JPG
    IMG_6234.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 56

CCB420

Reaction score
Actually kind of found it by accident, as it was one of the few that was completely buried, just beside those couple of stubby amber beer bottles, that were partially buried. Paw in law says they're Jax, or maybe Jack's, beer bottles. If you notice, one of the stubbies has a different closure, of which I am uncertain of it's name?? I'm assuming it was just a pry off cap, but unlike a crown top:

Attachments

• IMG_6235.JPG
    IMG_6235.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 64

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora