Thrift stores

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

frozenmonkeyface

Reaction score
Is it just me or have thrift stores gotten out of control on their prices. I don't know about where y'all live, but here they are very proud of their stuff........

Maybe I am just really cheap....[8|]

AMChandler

Reaction score
No I think you're right, they are not always as good a bargain as they used to be. They function almost like antique stores, which around here are very VERY proud of their stuff!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I'm with you - but we find WalMart to be the most helpful - the other thing that bothers me is the percentage of things made in China and not in America. Tough times are the fault of our politicians and their poor logic. RED Matthews

Headhunter2

Reaction score
People that own thrift stores are getting more educated with internet, TV Digging and Picking shows and E-Bay. You just can't find you basic dumb a__ thrift store owner any more. They are a dieing breed.

frozenmonkeyface

Reaction score
Every now and then you can find good stuff. I have like 2 hours between classes twice a week so I go to the local thrift store and look around. Or the antique mall. I found a pair of $500 hand crafted Japanese glasses for $.39 one day. :)

BillinMo

Reaction score
I've seen that, too.

I asked a friend of mine who's volunteered at a thrift store for many years. She said they often have someone double-check eBay to make sure they don't sell something extremely valuable. If they find it, and feel it has value as an antique, the store will ask about half the eBay final bid. I'll bet other stores would use the higher amount.

Sometimes, though, the person checking (often a short-time volunteer) doesn't research very carefully. Many people don't seem to get the concept of a final bid vs. an insane "buy it now" price.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
You can still get lucky at flea markets if you go early enough.. like before dawn...

frozenmonkeyface

Reaction score
I love flea markets! My kids do as well. My daughter is picking up on what is valuable and what is junk. She likes to find stuff to sell on E bay and Craigslist so she can make the money from it. I tell her if she buys it, the profits are hers. Its only fair. She is 9. [:D]

glass man

Reaction score
I bought a 1968 "Vannila Fudge" album that still had it's original plastic wrap round it and looks like it was never played..for a dollar..great deal!JAMIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu