Tin Salvage, Straits of Taiwan, 1985 ( a deepsea yarn...)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I thought you might like that! I have penned several others and will post them if folks would like to read them. One of my favourites is "Up to my !@#$ in Chicken Guts!" A fowl tale, to be sure!
I can't stop once I start reading. I can go all weekend. Just have to stop to eat and sleep! I don't want to, but you can't neglect your body right!
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Those Honey-Do Lists can end up wiping your memory clean. One never finishes because new ones are always being added.

If you've penned a few of these already you are about half finished on book #1. Bump Aqua Man, We've got DeepSeaDan! :cool:
Aqua Dan! Lol!
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Reactions: Len

Semar

Reaction score
Not sure of the value back in that time, but I do recall the salvage master stating Malaysian tin ore was very pure & highly sought after. There was other cargo aboard the wreck, including large bundles of rubber mats. I never saw one up close because the fishing junk crews would haul them out of the water as fast as they'd pop to the surface! There has been several amazing salvage operations in that area of the world, where a lot of beautiful Ming porcelain and other treasures have been recovered. The main player was ( and perhaps still is ) 'Mike Hatcher' ( the guys I spoke of on my job had worked for Hatcher on the previous year's expedition ). I know he has had several running battles with some of the local governments in the area and has spent a lot of time in court. I believe one of his first big salvage ventures netted over 30 million dollars. It's interesting reading should you google his name.

Semar

Reaction score
The Javanese are making good money faking that Ming China and selling it to tourists that don't know any better. I expect that haul provided them with an almost endless catalog of authentic designs to fake.

About tin; there was a salvor lurking near shore off Cahoon Hollow in Wellfleet this Spring using his mailboxes to scour the bottom around the area where an early 20th century freighter supposedly went down with a cargo of tin ingots.
Cahoon Hollow is about a mile north of the Marconi site where Clifford found the Whydah galley.

Today I read about a galleon that the British sunk off the coast of Columbia in 1706 which has an estimated 20 billion dollar cargo of gold and emeralds. o_O
There's a short film of the wreck here:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu