Tips on where to dig?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

happyamos

Reaction score
Boy, was I wrong about that. Turns out, SS is not as common as I thought. Couldn't order any unless I wanted to buy a truckload. Obviously, I don't need that much! Junk yards it is, I suppose!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Boy, was I wrong about that. Turns out, SS is not as common as I thought. Couldn't order any unless I wanted to buy a truckload. Obviously, I don't need that much! Junk yards it is, I suppose!
Older car trunks had spring steel rods in them. If you can find the older 70's and 80's they are longer. Hit up a salvage yard you can usually get them very cheap.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've been buying sheet metal from a local steel shop here in Detroit area for past 20 years. A couple of years ago I went in to see if I could buy some Spring Steel rods from him & surprisingly he had no clue or idea what I was talking about & never heard of it? And this is a huge wharehouse full of different shapes & sizes of steel? LEON.

happyamos

Reaction score
I've been buying sheet metal from a local steel shop here in Detroit area for past 20 years. A couple of years ago I went in to see if I could buy some Spring Steel rods from him & surprisingly he had no clue or idea what I was talking about & never heard of it? And this is a huge wharehouse full of different shapes & sizes of steel? LEON.
It's a specialty metal. I work for a specialty metal distributor and even they don't carry it. I did find a couple distributors, one in Chicago area, one in Detroit area, as well as Alro, and they all laughed when I told them how much I needed. It can be obtained, but it's pretty much made to order. So, unless you are buying a flatbeds worth of steel...

embe

Reaction score
I made a probe (for a septic tank of all things) out of a metal rod from an old crib, and some gas line fittings for the "T" handle. Did the job.

olddog21

Reaction score
I had a hard time getting spring steel years ago. I was talking to a guy who I teamed up with later on and he said to try a garage door spring manufacturer. I found a spring maker in town and was able to buy twenty feet of steel. That’s great, I can coil it up and stick it in my cars trunk. I got the piece out to my car and found out the stuff isn’t easy to coil up. I had a big car trunk.

Got the piece in the trunk then home and cut to length. I’m not a welder so finding someone who understood that if spring steel heated to hot, it becomes brittle. Not a good thing if you are pushing the probe into the ground and it breaks either at the tip or at the handle

Finally found a good welder and made my probes.

The spring manufacturer sold out to a consortium of makers and they now have a huge plant to make springs. Getting steel from those guys depends on the day and how the secretary feels

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18