TO TUMBLE OR TO TRIP ON ACID

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
I'll tell you it sure is a addiction, I know if I dont dig,buy or have something going on, I get a little on edge. but cleaning them is a great fix.

rick kern

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
YES IT IS. I didn't even notice that. I may have another pic if you want one.
Thnak for your help.

rick kern

IRISH

Reaction score
Bottle tumbler, I think tumbling is a good thing with so many bottles that would otherwise not be worth displaying coming up near mint, I can also see you do a good job, just that I was not sure what you where saying in your first post [;)] .
BTW muriatic acid IS Hydrochloric Acid (HCl) , safely mixing it with water is as simple as measuring out the amount of each and pouring one into the other, all the safety gear you need is gloves, goggles and common sense and don't breath the vapor from the concentrated stuff (there is no Hydrogen Chloride vapor given off from a few percent mix).

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Max, there are some cutting agents out there that will take embossment right off. (ie, 600 grit) However, if you use the proper compound for the proper application, there is no danger of this happening at all. I use 1200 grit cutter for 6 or 7 days for really sick glass then come back and polish it for another 3 or 4 days with alum. oxide. 600 grit is great for heavily etched or scratched glass but you DO NOT want to ever use it on any type of embossment. I have never seen (in person) a bottle that has been professionally cleaned with acid, but I can not believe it could be any prettier than a bottle that has been properly tumbled and you don't risk life or limb with the tumbling process. Hope this helps, Kelley

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
The embossing wont be hurt at all. when you polish it does just that. polish. but if you cut it will remove a very fine layer of glass. it an over all cut. it would take weeks with a normal cutter to remove the embossing.

rick

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1