Today's House Demo Finds.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Here's the Froelich Hutch, right at the back Property Line with the concrete Alley right above it only like 2-3 feet deep.
P1120270.JPG
P1120271.JPG
P1120272.JPG

hemihampton

Reaction score
I didn't even notice untill now, looking at my own pics that the 2 Detroit Brewing bottles are different. one has a slugplate & the other one does not. So far the bottles have been Blobs, to Tooled Crown Tops to ABM Crown Tops to Turn Mold with no Seems? Large Variety. LEON.

YUMMY, Blackroot Honey.
P1120289.JPG
P1120288.JPG
P1120290.JPG

SMITTY4440

Reaction score
Cool finds. Probably some privys on those lots. Lately around here in Muskegon with any kind of demolition or construction the workers scarf up any bottles or relics that turn up.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Great job leon! Awsome finds...when you have a spot like this do you probe around to feel if there is glass or do you just kind of scratch around until you think you found a good spot to dig?

Depends, even though I do a lot of Probing, in these House Demos I usually do not do much probing. In this spot I could see the trash in the wall of dirt along back property line & back alley. So I just dug along there with both 3 pronger & shovel until I hit hard yellow packed sand. I'll probe a back corner if I see it's full of White Ash & you'll notice the one Pic does show a corner full of white Ash but i dug threw the white ash with my 3 pronger & soon hit hard yellow packed sand. Plus, what you really want is to see white ash about 4 or 5 or 6 feet down. at least here in Michigan you do. Not a good sign seeing white ash close to the surface, could mean shallow trash pit or just a Ash Hole. you can read the dirt in some of these demo spots to know where to dig but the bulldozers can make quit a mess of the area throwing dirt everywhere & not knowing where it came from. My rule of thumb, is always go back to very back corner right after they tore out Garage Concrete floor & that's most likely where you'll find the bottles because that most likely where they put the privy 100+ years ago long before they had a Car or Garage. LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Cool finds. Probably some privys on those lots. Lately around here in Muskegon with any kind of demolition or construction the workers scarf up any bottles or relics that turn up.

I've noticed more workers doing the same thing, they'll usually put a little pile of bottles off to the side. LEON.

Mjbottle

Reaction score
Depends, even though I do a lot of Probing, in these House Demos I usually do not do much probing. In this spot I could see the trash in the wall of dirt along back property line & back alley. So I just dug along there with both 3 pronger & shovel until I hit hard yellow packed sand. I'll probe a back corner if I see it's full of White Ash & you'll notice the one Pic does show a corner full of white Ash but i dug threw the white ash with my 3 pronger & soon hit hard yellow packed sand. Plus, what you really want is to see white ash about 4 or 5 or 6 feet down. at least here in Michigan you do. Not a good sign seeing white ash close to the surface, could mean shallow trash pit or just a Ash Hole. you can read the dirt in some of these demo spots to know where to dig but the bulldozers can make quit a mess of the area throwing dirt everywhere & not knowing where it came from. My rule of thumb, is always go back to very back corner right after they tore out Garage Concrete floor & that's most likely where you'll find the bottles because that most likely where they put the privy 100+ years ago long before they had a Car or Garage. LEON.
"Ash hole" lol...i like that, thanks for the great info leon, ive had my eye on a few spots for a while but the only thing holding me back is not knowing where to begin at a demo site so its nice to get info from the pro's. Its funny you mentioned looking under the garage concrete slab because when i was a young boy my mom moved into an 18th century stone house that had a privy still on the side of the house and when they renovated they built a garage right over top just like you said...now that im into bottles, everytime i drive by i wonder what might be down there, but ill never know. Thanks again leon, have a good one!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown