Tombigbee River find. Need help with ID

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cdhaynes

Reaction score

I found this sticking out of a bluff on the Tombigbee River in Mississippi. It was about 7 feet down from the top and about 5 feet above the water. You can feel the swirls in the neck, no seam lines. The mark on the base is smooth and sticks out. I'm thinking a common bottle from around 1900. Am I right?

Attachments

• bottle.jpg
    bottle.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 92
  • neck.jpg
    neck.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 88
  • base.jpg
    base.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 87

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing, Common Bottle around 1900 but they made Bottles like this one for many Years, long time span. May be European? I know I've dug many in the past & nowadays being a slick I usually return them back to the Hole. LEON.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
We get loads of these in Canada, I've seen them with labels for different things so I'm not sure if they were designed for a specific product or not. They're often referred to as mineral water bottles and I think were typically made in the UK for export overseas. Over here they were re-used for all sorts of different things.

Mailman1960

Reaction score

I found this sticking out of a bluff on the Tombigbee River in Mississippi. It was about 7 feet down from the top and about 5 feet above the water. You can feel the swirls in the neck, no seam lines. The mark on the base is smooth and sticks out. I'm thinking a common bottle from around 1900. Am I right?
Clean, good looking, old wait I'm not on the dating website. Still a slick.

Welcome aboard

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Mailman delivers bottle info with humor and a smile. Nice.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
I agree with HunterTheFox59 on the date range, I have seen this pattern on American bottles from the 1880's and 1890's though it could be as late as the 1910's if it's an imported European bottle. For whatever reason Europeans were much slower in modernizing their bottle-making technology compared to the US.

crwncrk

Reaction score
I agree with HunterTheFox59 on the date range, I have seen this pattern on American bottles from the 1880's and 1890's though it could be as late as the 1910's if it's an imported European bottle. For whatever reason Europeans were much slower in modernizing their bottle-making technology compared to the US.
May have been because the machinery was so massive and hard to ship.

Huntindog

Reaction score
This is a Turn Mold Mineral Water.
They were produced from the mid 1800s to the mid 1900s.
Although They don't bring a lot of value they come in a rainbow of colors and make great window bottles.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky