Too Good to be True? Utility, Giant Snuff, or Fake? Early Pontiled Cobalt Jar From "1805 House"(eBay win).

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Shades of History

Reaction score
Some pics incoming. This is a piece I won on eBay for $40, and even if it isn't real, it's a nice piece of handmade work that's worth what I paid just as a repro or art deco object...however, I'm hoping it's real, because then it's extremely rare and I practically stole it for $40. I bid on two items from a seller who listed both of them having been found on the same property. One was an odd bright blue little flask with a crooked neck shaped vaguely like a powder horn, found in "1810 privy" and it had some haze staining and all the requisite crudeness of manufacture and looked very believable. I didn't win that one. I won a big cobalt blue "pontiled snuff" from "1805 house", so I'm guessing a basement/attic find of the same property, it is very clean.

The problem with this one is it just looks too good to be true. The amount of bubbles and flaws in the glass are consistent with it actually being old though, and it has some moderate and very visible base wear that looks like more than just a couple decades worth. Anyone care to weigh in on whether this is probably legit or not?

Last edited:

Shades of History

Reaction score
Here's the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_1821.JPG
    948.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1822.JPG
    IMG_1822.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1823.JPG
    IMG_1823.JPG
    933.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1823.JPG
    IMG_1823.JPG
    933.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1825.JPG
    IMG_1825.JPG
    779.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1826.JPG
    IMG_1826.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 205

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Your bottle is the best of colors and by the way Welcome to Antique Bottles. Collect what you like. Like what you collect. Remember that bottles are just stuff. The true treasure is not bottles, but friends. Hope you acquire many. This is a good place to find them.

Shades of History

Reaction score
Alright, you guys are just confirming what I thought. Either A: the seller was dishonest, B: they found the piece at an old house with old privies, but it's still just an art piece a few decades ago max. Honestly? As UncleBruce said, bottles are just things and I'm not disappointed. It's a nice looking piece, probably hand blown. Just for what it is, it's worth what I paid for it, so no real risk or loss.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Hecho a Mexico. Pontil is all wrong among other things.

Pretty though.

Jim G

Nickneff

Reaction score
Hecho a Mexico. Pontil is all wrong among other things.

Pretty though.

Jim G
I think it's really cool I love the thick lip on I have a snuff-bottle Levi Garrett still have the seal and snuff is still in it never been opened really cool is that a lot of people tell me how much they liked it I get around to it I'll take a picture of it sticking on here for you guys

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora