Too many insulators

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JenyLuvsDigging

Reaction score
I live in Illinois, in an area where old insulators are easy to find & so common that I've aquired over 100 just from walks along the old tracks over the years. I have sold some, swapped some, given many away..
Most have the year on them. Blues, greens, clears, amber, white.
Looking to swap for ones from other states or sell or even swap for items such as skeleton keys or other unique finds. Plz reply & then email me
GypsyJeny@gmail.com
(Will post pics of enough interest)

fredmcain

Reaction score
Jeny,

You said that you found a lot of insulators from walks along the tracks?

This is probably because American railroads were the last ones to use open-wire communication lines. Open-wire lines along railroad tracks were used for telegraph and later telephone and also what was known as "code line" to control the signals along the tracks. Most of these lines have now been retired.

Earlier, especially prior to the 1970's, a lot of telephone companies also employed open-wire. I recall seeing many, many such lines like this from my youth. Often, they ran alongside the older two-lane highways in the days before the Interstate highway system took over.

I will attempt to attach a picture here of just such a line along Old Route 66 in Missouri. I actually remember seeing this line during its decommissioning in 1965.

I don't have a major collection of insulators, but I do have a few that were taken off an abandoned rail line in Michigan. I could probably send you some if you wish.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain,
Topeka, IN

Old Route 66.jpg

DavidW

Reaction score
Jeny,

You said that you found a lot of insulators from walks along the tracks?

This is probably because American railroads were the last ones to use open-wire communication lines. Open-wire lines along railroad tracks were used for telegraph and later telephone and also what was known as "code line" to control the signals along the tracks. Most of these lines have now been retired.

Earlier, especially prior to the 1970's, a lot of telephone companies also employed open-wire. I recall seeing many, many such lines like this from my youth. Often, they ran alongside the older two-lane highways in the days before the Interstate highway system took over.

I will attempt to attach a picture here of just such a line along Old Route 66 in Missouri. I actually remember seeing this line during its decommissioning in 1965.

I don't have a major collection of insulators, but I do have a few that were taken off an abandoned rail line in Michigan. I could probably send you some if you wish.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain,
Topeka, IN

View attachment 245116
What a beautiful old photo!!! Thanks for posting! Seven crossarms on each pole -- wonder what great old glass gems were installed on them!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum