Tool question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bne74honda

Reaction score
Hi All,

Where would one go to find the long probes that are used for locating privies? Is this something that you just 'jury-rig' from hardware supplies or can they be bought?

BNE

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hello BNE - I fabricated my own probe out of a 5' flexi-bit! I work in the alarm industry, and our technicians were always tossing out the drills when they got too worn to be re-sharpened. They're made out of spring steel and very flexible and very strong. I made a T handle out of a piece of 1/2 galvanized pipe and tac-welded it to the drill shaft. I cut off the bit end and attached a ball bearing and wa lah! a probe! I also read about people using the old spring steel shafts from all car trunks - you should be able to get them from a junkie or almost anywhere. If you have any electrical or alarm contractors in your area check with them regarding the drills. Oh, one more thing, you might want to spray paint it, or at least the handle a bright color, I've lost 2 of my probes in the past year when laying them down in wooded areas! Happy Hunting! Maine Digger

bne74honda

Reaction score
Thanks Maine!

I kinda figured that this was a custom-built item. I shouldn't have any trouble now that you've given me some ideas. Thanks again.....my 11 year-old son thanks you too...he's been wanting me to take him digging for ages. I haven't gone a 'real' dig before, so it should be fun. I've found many bottles and done some real shallow digging, just kinda spur of the moment, but this spring/summer I plan on getting serious....hell I may even put batteries in my metal detector! LOL

BNE

IRISH

Reaction score
A drill bit probe! that's a bit different [:D] , it would give a good sound and "feel" being tool grade steel I would think ? it's a good idea I may have to find one of those bits and give it a go [;)] .

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18